How to make MDF/Fibreboard water-proof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapiensHossain

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I m very new to woodworking, I am just an occasional DIY'er. I have some old boards in my backyard, I am not sure of their type, I guess its MDF or fiberboard, looks like IKEA product (please see the pictures to confirm it). I want to make a simple Semi-Foldable Workbench for working (so that I can install my heavy table vice on it etc). My question is, after I cut it into shapes and pieces, how can I make it water-proof the easiest and cheapest way? The board is already laminated with something white, I may need to laminate or waterproof only the newly cut edges. Plz look at the boards here -

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM (1).jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM (2).jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-19 at 1.17.57 PM.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
You'll never make that waterproof, and I'm not sure why you'd need a waterproof bench. Mildly water resistant (say wipe clean), just seal all exposed edges with varnish, paint, waterproof glue - whatever you've got available. But it would never be proof enough for, say, outside storage in the rain.

You'll never make that waterproof, and I'm not sure why you'd need a waterproof bench. Mildly water resistant (say wipe clean), just seal all exposed edges with varnish, paint, waterproof glue - whatever you've got available. But it would never be proof enough for, say, outside storage in the rain.
thank u very much, I just want to know how MDF/fibreboard is waterproofed. By the way are they MDF or fibreboard?

thank u very much, I just want to know how MDF/fibreboard is waterproofed. By the way are they MDF or fibreboard?
Mdf/fibreboard/particleboard/chipboard etc aren't waterproofed post-manufacture. There's some moisture resistant mdf manufactured and there's some chipboard flooring which claims high water resistance. But ordinary IKEA type furniture boards are not, and never will be waterproof. I guess if you managed to completely encapsulate it with epoxy resin it might stay OK as long as that coating remained intact - but it would be cheaper to buy better material.

If you want a bench that is going outside in all weathers - these won't do it.

Join freecycle or similar sites. People throw out old doors all of the time and you might be able to get some on there for bench tops.

People also get rid of their old garden furniture on there. Might not be massively sturdy, but you could strengthen it and turn it into something that will survive outside.

Not sure which part of London you are in, but there are places like this:

https://solowoodrecycling.co.uk/find-us/
Solo are on my mind as I might visit them this week for some work projects that might be coming up. Never know what you might find.

Good luck

Martin

As others (all?) have said MDF will never be waterproof, that said, you could seal any cut edges with several layers of exterior gloss, varnish etc which will slightly slow down the inevitable, I'd use whatever I could find or scrounge, it just isn't worth spending money on this stuff, use it up and throw it out.

Back