How to improved Dust collection in the SIP TS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycorleone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, How can I improved Dust collection in the SIP 01332 the actual dust system is quite bad :evil: , I was thinking in made some kind of MDF funnel just below the Motor, Someone had made something Similar or have a better Idea? Thanks

Good question that Andy, I suspect there are a lot of us in the same boat. I've been putting up with it until I had to rip some long MDF boards. The amount of dust thrown up around the blade and into the air was too much. The best I could come up with was connect my extractor directly to the crown guard using a smaller dia hose. Stopped it blowing in my face but anybody got any other ideas?
Cheers

I tried something a little different, I left the existing outlet as it was then added a second outlet direct into the body next to the existing outlet. Both are connected to the dust extractor. I also covered all the openings between the table and the base with sealer strips. I rigged a cover for the slot in the front from 2 sheets of thin perspex, where the height and angle adjustments are. just to mention I have a plywood base under the body so the whole base is enclosed

With the airflow now directed primarily from the outside past the blade into the base and out to the dust extractor it seems to get most of the dust. However when ripping sheets of MDF there is still some dust that gets into the air, don't think you can get rid of it all.

It has also helped keep the moving parts, motor and screw rods clear of dust, but I still blow it clean with the compressor every few months.

I don't know if this contravenes any H & S guidelines, maybe other members can comment on this.

Hope this has helped

Jock

Thanks I would really apreciated an inside picture your saw this will help a lot to visualize your system
Cheers

staffie":1sehe74z said:
I tried something a little different, I left the existing outlet as it was then added a second outlet direct into the body next to the existing outlet. Both are connected to the dust extractor. I also covered all the openings between the table and the base with sealer strips. I rigged a cover for the slot in the front from 2 sheets of thin perspex, where the height and angle adjustments are. just to mention I have a plywood base under the body so the whole base is enclosed

With the airflow now directed primarily from the outside past the blade into the base and out to the dust extractor it seems to get most of the dust. However when ripping sheets of MDF there is still some dust that gets into the air, don't think you can get rid of it all.

It has also helped keep the moving parts, motor and screw rods clear of dust, but I still blow it clean with the compressor every few months.

I don't know if this contravenes any H & S guidelines, maybe other members can comment on this.

Hope this has helped

Jock

What i did and its not perfect is make a platform on casters remove the 4 legs so the saw sits on it and then locate it with strips than seal it. I then took off the plastic outlet and turned it end for end and rotated it 180 deg. so when connected to the extractor the 1 inch t facing down with short length of pipe inside the cabinet sucks out the build up in the bottom and the 4 inch is connected as existing to the blade enclosure therefor no crown guard extraction but you can connect the shop vac if required especially when using zero clearance insert.

I have had very simular problems with my kity, although a smaller saw it throws out a lot of dust. I carried out the same sort of modification as mentioned earlier. That catches a lot of dust but the is still some being thrown about from the blade. I feel that putting some extraction on the crown guard would be of great benefit.

Staffie
I would not think so, the H&S are not concerned with extra guards, and guideline are just that guides! Although some of the scaremongers will have you believe otherwise. I cannot see in what you have said you have done that would contravene any of the all important statutory requirements.

The dust extraction on my Knapp 12" saw spindle is a disgrace.....

The designers of this machine appear to be engineers with no knowledge of dust extraction and airflow.

I sympathize.

David Charlesworth

Bean wrote:
I have had very simular problems with my kity, although a smaller saw it throws out a lot of dust. I carried out the same sort of modification as mentioned earlier. That catches a lot of dust but the is still some being thrown about from the blade. I feel that putting some extraction on the crown guard would be of great benefit.
I've done Beans modification to my K419 and it does make a lot of improvement to the extraction. Left as standard the extraction is appalling, fitting a additional extraction on the crown helps a bit more as does sealing up all the various holes and gaps with tape - Rob

staffie":189ecg48 said:
I tried something a little different, I
Jock

Hi Jock

Any photos you could post would be really helpful - my Axminter is the same, loads of dust simply ends up on the floor under the saw

Guys,
Cant post Pics right now, I am in France at the moment watching the rugby. Will post some pics when I get back after the 20th.

Jock

Latest posts

Back