How to free jammed mortise lock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for that Pete, I'll measure tomorrow, though Bugbears link suggests there can still be a bit of variation.

Bugbear, I've fixed it once, I'm going to get a new one as I can do without the hassle of it breaking a third time

Haggis, thanks, I've also found some 1mm Bosch ones on ebay which are even cheaper and no postage cost

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know which method I go for in the end and how I get on

Mark

DrPhill":1nf3nvqq said:
Pedant alert

petermillard":1nf3nvqq said:
assuming it's a UK lock; standard lock depths are 2 1/2" / 63mm or 3" / 65mm -

3" / 75mm ?

An interesting topic. Tell us how it all turns out.
Typo, fixed now, thanks. The diagram was right though ;)

P

I had a close look at the hinges but the pins don't have ends to grind off. No prob in itself but I was worried they would therefore be too tight to knock out, otherwise they would surely work their way up or down gradually in use.

I bought some thin grinder discs only 1mm but these were still too wide as the gap is very small. Even though the door doesn't bind or have any noticeable undercut

Going to put the rest of this message on another post in a minute as my phone is playing up

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 738
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 738
Anyway I went for the grinder at the dead bolt. I intend to change this door in the mid term as I don't actually like it and there is a bit of rot near the bottom. Therefore I wanted to keep the frame undamaged and not too bothered by some minor damage to the door as long as it's still usable and secure
Here's the picks of each. The frame isn't damaged just paint taken off. Minor gouge in the door. What I found was I couldn't get enough depth with the 4 inch grinder even when I took the handle off so I had to do the last bit with a hack saw blade. If you don't have one of these handles I recommend one after years of struggling without - so handy

I managed to take the lock oh, take it to the shop to match a new one and install it in same door so no loss of security.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 749
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 750
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 749
At least you've got the tongue cut out and the frame is still intact.
It's surprising how annoying some of these jobs can be, about the homestead
Regards Rodders

Back