How to drill holes in wood spot on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks my first post, how do you drill holes in wood accurately I have a pillar drill which is old but in great condition, im used to steel
centre punch small drill first method, but how do you drill wood, for instance , how would you drill 5 5mm holes in a straight line, unlike
steel the drill does not follow the shamfer from your first small drill hope ive made sense, cheers all phil birmingham

You need to make up some form of simple jig to keep the drill on centre
If you have lot of holes then it would be prudent to use a hardened drill bush.
If you need constant spacing then two holes in jig allow for a location pin in first hole

Jojo":rt62haeh said:
Hi you use a brad point drill bit it's description is self explanatory.

John

Thanks john, I suppose you must drill the size your after, unlike steel where you use small and then go up to the size your after.
thanks again john

CHJ":3l371iqf said:
You need to make up some form of simple jig to keep the drill on centre
If you have lot of holes then it would be prudent to use a hardened drill bush.
If you need constant spacing then two holes in jig allow for a location pin in first hole

Hi I think what you are saying is drill two holes in some steel and go through the steel, as you say a jig cheers for your help.

Wood is less homogenous than metal as a material, and to some extant a drill bit will always follow the grain. That deflection is just a fact of life, specially with smaller and more flexible bits. Withdrawing the bit to clear the waste very frequently can help.

An other issue with wood is that drilling into end grain is different to drilling into long grain as in some orientations the fibres are severed but in others they are compressed or pushed aside, consequently Krenov used a 0.1 or 0.2mm larger bit for the end grain hole when dowelling.

As John said, use a brad point bit which will locate accurately into a tiny dimple that you make with an awl.
To get all your holes in line there are different ways depending on what you are drilling and how big it is. You can mark a straight line, probably with a marking gauge, then put marks across where you want holes. Or use dividers - walk them along the line and press down with the sharp tip.
Decent quality drill bits do not come from China for pennies - you get what you pay for.
Ordinary jobbers drill bits will not give you a precisely positioned hole nor a round one.

Hi

If you want really accurate nice clean holes you could use a 5mm router bit with a guide bush. Make up a jig drilled at intervals to take the guide bush. One advantage of this is that the jig does not get worn out with use.

Chris

From my experience there is a problem when using drilling guides of the same size as the drill. If the drill is rotating as it is withdrawn from the guide, or offered into it, then the cutting edge is very quickly damaged. This method requires great care to be able to use over any length of time. Another problem is the tendency of the drill waste to clog the flutes of the drill. In this case the friction in the guide bush can generate an impressive amount of heat, which doesn't help. If possible it is better to refer the material with some jig which positions it correctly with respect to the drill bit. Here speaks a bloke who has sharpened 1/2" twist drills at 4 or 5 an hour servicing a production line. Of course a rock solid pillar drill is required as well.
xy

Latest posts

Back