How to connect extractor to different tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a mitre saw, orbital sander, 1/4 sheet sander, router, router table and want to connect each of them to the new pipe I've bought for my extractor :

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Yorkleen-Power-Tool-Hoses-23677.htm

What I don't know is :
a. When adapters give diameter measurements are they talking about internal or external i.e. whats the norm ?

b. Any cheap location to get the adapters.

input appreciated

Id say in this case interior measurement for them. As in the 100mm hose would go over it. Look in the axminster broucher it has much better descriptions in there.

Paul - you might find that the 'stepped hose reducer' shown on your Ax page at the bottom is of some use. I have one and it's what I connect to all my portable power tools as well as the bandsaw and disc sander - Rob

Sadly I think you will find that there is no consistency with tool dust outlets.

I now have a box containing all sorts of adapters from Rutland, Axminster etc. , some rain water/plumbing adapters from the sheds and some aluminium trunking/pipe given by a plumber.
A roll of duct tape is very useful too! :)

rod

Harbo":2h1w1hj8 said:
A roll of duct tape is very useful too! :)

rod
Rod - agreed, not only do I use it on the outside to make a joint but on a couple of tools I use a bit of white UPVC pipe stuffed into the tool dust pipe. If it's a loose fit I then start wrapping tape round the pipe till it's a tight fit...the other end fits neatly onto the stepped adapter...seems to work OK, haven't had any problems so far - Rob

I have cut up an old leather belt and used that to wrap round dust fittings when they are to small for the hose, held in place of course with a length of duct tape. 8)

the answers have made me laugh, I've been using duct tape with bits of upvc pipe and thinking what an silly person I was ! Now it turns out its 'industry standard' practice

thanks all for the advice

paul

LarryS":19zp57lx said:
the answers have made me laugh, I've been using duct tape with bits of upvc pipe and thinking what an silly person I was ! Now it turns out its 'industry standard' practice

thanks all for the advice

paul

Yep, same here, glad I'm not alone :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

I just cut whatever adapter I need with a scroll saw.

Gill

I use good ole' MDF! All the pipe connectors I have encountered are made of a reasonably soft rubber. Cutting circular discs from MDF on a scroll saw with the table set at a slight angle creates chamfered holes which these connectors can fit. You don't need to be too accurate cutting the circles because the soft rubber connector can compensate for minor errors.

Hoseadaptor.jpg

Gill

Gill":4ypy3535 said:
I use good ole' MDF! All the pipe connectors I have encountered are made of a reasonably soft rubber. Cutting circular discs from MDF on a scroll saw with the table set at a slight angle creates chamfered holes which these connectors can fit. You don't need to be too accurate cutting the circles because the soft rubber connector can compensate for minor errors.

Hoseadaptor.jpg

Gill

Brilliant idea :D

At last the excuse I need to buy a scrollsaw!

I tried turning one up on the lathe with pretty mediocre results Not to mention it all going pearshaped, going eccentric in the chuck and threatening to smack me in the mouth with a piece of flying timber.

Back