How things have changed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wightbees

Reaction score
I'm by no means a professional Carpenter although I spend my first three years from leaving school as a cabinet maker for a local company, back in 1986 :-\ I notice that what I used to dunk in my cup of tea is now used for just about every hoping going lol....Biscuits haha does any one use the old method any more? Let alone what I been watching on YouTube of hanging cabinet doors !!

The question is more for cabinet makers really and was a bit of fun on my part, worded very badly, sorry. I can see this machine makes the job so much quicker but to me it seems to have taken some of the skill and enjoyment out of it.

I thought biscuits had gone out of fashion in favour of these things?

domino-square_0.png

It probably has. But at the same time are engineering students taught to file metal for 4 weeks like my grandad was when he apprenticed in the RAF in 1938. Time is money today, people want things quick and cheap.

Adidat

Lack of time in an ever increasingly busy world seems to be the problem (and profit of course).
Much to my own shame I made a gate frame with pocket screws and extra long deck screws yesterday (for myself, I wouldn't do that for someone else), rubbish way to do it but it was very quick.

adidat":hpicdbax said:
It probably has. But at the same time are engineering students taught to file metal for 4 weeks like my grandad was when he apprenticed in the RAF in 1938. Time is money today, people want things quick and cheap.

Adidat
Two friends of mine - one spent a year sweeping the workshop and priming and undercoating skirting boards, and the other had to file a perfect cube from a ball bearing. When preaching the benefits of apprenticeships people tend to forget things like that. :D

If anyone thinks that the Victorian cabinet makers wouldn't use dominos if they had them are kidding themselves...and the impressionists spending hours grinding up cochineal for the paint dye when they could order from Windsor & Newton....hobbyists v realists !

Wightbees":29k3q701 said:
I was lucky, I got to hit my thumb with a hammer from day one :D

You could hit your thumb as much as you liked, it was half crowns that would get you in serious trouble.

Biscuits, Dominos etc are just loose tenons, and is a technique that's been about for a very long time. Victorian cabinet makers would certainly have been familiar with the method. That they weren’t used much is because they were skilled workers and would just have cut the correct joints for the job. No need for bodges. :)

Giff":3sta0pq4 said:
If anyone thinks that the Victorian cabinet makers wouldn't use dominos if they had them are kidding themselves...and the impressionists spending hours grinding up cochineal for the paint dye when they could order from Windsor & Newton....hobbyists v realists !

I am a hobbyist painter. I don't get my colours from Cornelius. I buy them ready-use! W&N as it happens. :D

I agree with your sentiments Roger, but as I am now doing all the housework, and still need cupboards etc, I have to resort to quicker woodworking methods! As I suspect so would the old-timers when they could. :)

chippy1970":3f7upz38 said:
Talking of domino's , owners might want to watch this

https://youtu.be/ae6321UMKj0
Interesting concept, however one of the reasons I bought a domino was to create invisible joints. That method uses externally facing screws.

I'm not actually sure what that's achieving over using normal dominos and glue though, apart from not having to use glue? The ability to disassemble & reassemble?

Back