How much??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking of the price of stuff, I took a small parcel off my postman yesterday.
Wife's name on the label, so assumed it was yet more day/night/24 hour/reduce wrinkle/look pampered type stuff....but no.
"Ah...good. That's for the dog..." she stated, and proceeded to open said cardboard box.
As for the size of the box, it turned out that you could've easily got 4 of the contents in it.
But I digress...

The box contained one plastic "tub" of dog food supplement.
The dog in question is going on 9, a tad plump, and is feeling it, bless him. He's lazy, laid-back, and has always had the attitude of "Well, you threw it...you get it..."
The tub was opened, and the contents sniffed. (By my wife, not the dog.)
"Phew!", she exclaimed. "I hope it does him more good than it smells!"
"Hmmmmm?" I replied, feigning much interest.
"It's got all sorts of good stuff in it...enzymes for his fur and joints, good bio stuff for his stools an' stuff....it's even got shitake mushrooms blended in...."
"He eats better than I do!", I said, peeking into the container. "Ye Gods! It's only half full!"
So we had a cardboard box that could've held 4 - perhaps more - containers, and now a tub that was only 50% full anyway!
Needless to say, I looked at the label, and spotted "net weight 115gm".
"This isn't going to last long! How much does he have a day?"
"There's a little plastic ladle inside. For his weight, it's recommended 2 measures a day", the light-of-my-life replied.
"Well, at that rate, we'll have to be getting another tub in a week or so!"
That's when there was one of those discernible silences. You know the kind of thing. It normally follows some kind of an admission or faux pas, with the added thought of "Please don't ask any more. Just leave it there..."
I took the opportunity to ask the obvious.
"£50. Plus postage...."
A quid for 2 grams!
It better bloody work!

The box contained one plastic "tub" of dog food supplement.

A quid for 2 grams!
It better bloody work!
Our dog sounds the opposite to yours, loves chasing a ball. She is on a daily tablet. Here is a photo of her in feb 2020
7C41A7A7-52ED-42DA-846D-57AE23FC1F24.jpeg

That massive bump on her right cheek is inoperable terminal cancer and it was bleeding, affecting her eye, not long to go. Put her on pain killers and anti inflammatories just to make life easier for her.

Here she is four weeks later
35BD24DE-1DF6-4F20-9FCB-3DCFE3674D2F.jpeg

Hardly a bump showing. Clearly the tablets triggered an immune response. And that is how it has remained, slight bump and the tumour looking far less angry than in November 2019 when it was first diagnosed. Tablets cost about £2 a day.

A good point but would you spend £20 on a present which is only worth about 40p and would your friend appreciate it?
I definitely wouldn't, but in a way, it reinforces the point I was trying to make. Some people have so much money that they wouldn't care what the thing was worth. My presents are always the vest value I can find :)

Our dog sounds the opposite to yours, loves chasing a ball. She is on a daily tablet. Here is a photo of her in feb 2020
View attachment 128605

That massive bump on her right cheek is inoperable terminal cancer and it was bleeding, affecting her eye, not long to go. Put her on pain killers and anti inflammatories just to make life easier for her.

Here she is four weeks later
View attachment 128606
Hardly a bump showing. Clearly the tablets triggered an immune response. And that is how it has remained, slight bump and the tumour looking far less angry than in November 2019 when it was first diagnosed. Tablets cost about £2 a day.

That's brilliant. A relief for all concerned.
I've lost too many dogs over the years, and admit that it's as upsetting - if not more - than losing a "proper" family member.
This £50 "bargain" dust I mentioned earlier was due to my better half reading about the decreasing life expectancy of certain breeds, mainly due to kibble and tinned foods being so processed, most of the beneficial contents are lost. Apparently the life expectancy of retrievers, for example, has dropped from 17 years right down to circa 10 in the last few years.
Best of luck to you and your girl, bless 'er....

Back