How much??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah but Churchil's bricks were cuboid. I think the only ones Boris has just now are tubular

Well that’s like an incantation then. So it must be true.
Like Oak Furniture Land....

no veneer in 'ere (which is an insult to Chippendale, en passant) but what they forget to mention is that their stuff is made of itty-bitty glued-together lumps of offcuts.

To be fair, they don't say solid mahogany ......but even if it was veneered mahogany...it would still be solid mahogany but very, very thin.

But you're right....it's stained ply.

Anyway, you can keep your mahogany box. My sights are set on something much better

Attachments

• mr porter.png
    mr porter.png
    546.5 KB · Views: 63
Mr Porter is a genius. If he is selling any of that stuff he must be laughing his head off. Those corkscrews are available for less than a tenner on Amazon, slap some carbon fibre on and put in a fancy box and you have a 13000% mark up, pure genius.

That's the point though. The bread and butter is the clothing, which goes from not-utterly-daft prices upwards (very upwards). The giftware is an add-on - sell one or two items a week and it significantly boosts the bottom line.

😆🤣 for very expensive bottles of plonk

I might invent gold plated oak and start ' gold plated oak furniture land'🤔🧐
You could be on a winner . There used to be a saying years ago that " if you could chrome plate S**t people would buy it" I guess that the Porter people have latched onto.

Like Oak Furniture Land....

no veneer in 'ere (which is an insult to Chippendale, en passant) but what they forget to mention is that their stuff is made of itty-bitty glued-together lumps of offcuts.

Aren't they the outfit that have "Ain't nothin' like the real thing" playing in the advert background?!

Having a bit of a sort out of my workshop because I'm going to line the breeze block walls and came across some BM blanks and a bit of 4 x 2 I d bought over 30 years ago.Reading this thread I was a bit taken aback re the mention of CITES and now being unable to buy/sell apparently. Seems it is available with CITES *trade*.A Google search came up with this to James Latham:
1643885027537.pnghttps://www.lathamtimber.co.uk › br...
Brazilian Mahogany Hardwood | Latham Timber

https://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/products/hardwoods/south-american/brazilian-mahogany
CITES listed but available with CITES trade. Colour varies from reddish brown to deep reddish brown. Medium textured, the grain is straight to interlocked."

Now just to decide at some point what I do with the small bits I have? I don't see me buying any new BM stock at any time.

The only problem is that according to a UN report last year (I think) over 90% of BM sold in the US and Europe was logged illegally. Wish i could find that report to pass on to Mr Porter. They emailed me again today to thank me and say they are investigating the items from this supplier.

ts says theres only one left though
They store all the others on the right!!.
I would spend £20 on a present for a friend, so it's about 250 times that. There's many people in the world with 250 times more money than I have. I suppose it's all relative to what you have. It looks like a Harrods version of an Ikea tool set.
I think there becomes a point where you can sell any cr@p for a fortune, it becomes a statement. "I'm so rich I can spend £5k on a pile of cr@p"
When I worked at IBM, a customer wanted a working solid gold laptop. They declined.

That is not a mahogany toolbox, its made from birch ply that's been stained.
Be fair though, the staining is at least average, and he's used felt tipped pens rather than crayon to outline the tools.
That, plus the way the screws or 4" nails used at the joints are concealed excellently. I was almost reaching for my wallet!

alternatively a one way ticket to St Helena
I have worked with many people from Saint Helena. The "Saints" are a fantastic island of people. Why would we inflict Boris on them. Maybe better (and cheaper) to send him to the Ukraine / Russia border with a pink "I hate Putin" T-Shirt.

I have worked with many people from Saint Helena. The "Saints" are a fantastic island of people. Why would we inflict Boris on them. Maybe better (and cheaper) to send him to the Ukraine / Russia border with a pink "I hate Putin" T-Shirt.
But they do have previous experience of hosting undesirable ex leaders.

I would spend £20 on a present for a friend, so it's about 250 times that. There's many people in the world with 250 times more money than I have.
A good point but would you spend £20 on a present which is only worth about 40p and would your friend appreciate it?

Well I have reported them to trading standards for false advertising and lying about their goods.
I hate these sort of companies, pretentious shills

I've sent them a similar email, stating I will as well.

To be fair, they don't say solid mahogany ......but even if it was veneered mahogany...it would still be solid mahogany but very, very thin.

But you're right....it's stained ply.

States "mahogany wood" multiple times - not "stained" or "coloured" or even "veneered". By most peoples understanding that would mean "pure solid mahogany wood".

Last edited:
those lovlies that can afford such couldn't use the tools anyway...

Had a neighbour in France....a retired Major, UK army.....
his wife asked if I could show him the proper way to hold and use a hammer....!!!
that tool kit sounds like it's just for him...
Maybe he only knew how to use the hammer on a revolver!!
Cheers
Andrew

Back