How many projects running concurrently

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbee56

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm still classing myself as a novice here but would like to know if anyone else has more than one project piece unfinished.

I currently have 3 (2 in chucks, one on the bench) and 2 pieces only roughed out.
Am I unusual or is this the norm ?

&

How many chucks do you own? As I have found its sometimes easier to leave a piece in a chuck if I come across that "new bit of lumber" that just needs your immediate attention !

I have about 7 bowls on the go about 30 pens i have a plater that been about 1 1/2 year in the making

i have 3 chucks

Hi

Normal for me - I have a spinning wheel, a child's chair and a walking cane on the go at the moment.

Regards Mick

I have a shelf full of unfinished projects and usually have two or three on the go at one time. As I use a fair bit of green wood as well as 'rustic' wood I often have pieces drying out or in the process of filling s well as others I am making to build up stock for shows.

Pete

If I haven't got at least 5 projects on the go I need to get on with some design work :lol:

They aren't all simple turning of course, though most have some turned elements. Currently I have the following in process - a Mahogany miniature long-case clock - a cutlery canteen in Bubinga - an Ebony and Silver ear-ring set - a Cocobolo & Silver necklace - a Yin-Yang pendant in Ebony, Mother of Pearl & Goncalo Alves - a Dragonfly Pendant in Mother of Pearl, Silver and Amethyst - Cufflinks in Silver, Ebony & Cocobolo, along with various elliptical, tri-lobe and round boxes to store and display the jewellery.

JG

phil.p":1b12i5bi said:
My life will run out before my unfinished projects.

Hi

I hope that's not the case - it would be a waste of all the equipment I've bought now whilst I can afford to for use when I retire and have the time to. :)

Regards Mick

A year or two or five ago (cant remember, feels like it could have been last month) I counted up all the work I had left part finished, and the total came to ninety something, now that included absolutely everything , greenwood projects that were drying, things I had started but not finished, experimental pieces that I was trying new techniques on that I might have finished off.

Only one chuck, could do with a second one though.
Who was it that said "What's the difference between an English turner and an American turner, The English turner has many sets of jaws and one chuck and the Americans have many sets of jaws and a chuck for each of them" It could have been Stuart Batty I'm not sure.

Yup. Perfectly normal I suspect. I've got various cooking incl this months competition piece if I ever get it finished. It's taking a fair bit of time I must confess

I currently have two chucks. One with "normal" jaws ie 2". The second has cole jaws permanently installed. I want a 3rd which will have pin jaws or similar in for smaller stuff. I'm vacillating on buying as I'm toying with a lathe upgrade

Owing to my sticking with simple forms and virtually no pre-defined designs for 'solid wood' items, when I'm in basic turning mode I only ever have one piece at a time in work on the lathe, rarely do I start a piece that is not finished within the days session.

Blank preparations are another matter, they tend to be done in batches, sometimes a whole day doing nothing else but fill offcut firewood bags for my neighbour.
If you turn up a batch of green bowl blanks for drying do you consider them as in process individual projects or just one project?

Simple Segmented box component parts are usually done in batches as and when appropriate material and machine setup is relevant.
Assembly of parts is likewise usually done in batches but finished turning is always done to completion, never left on the lathe.

Funnily enough I've never thought of anything I do on the lathe as a project, other than say the making of a turning tool that's needed, possibly because since I started turning I've not tackled any complicated or multi part builds that need an extended timescale so just see them as short term tasks.

Currently have four chucks, for convenience could do with another 125mm to get the extended jaw travel, but since Axy no longer market the goliath I doubt it will materialise.

Because of my narrow output style and afore mentioned 'session completion' I do not utilise the facility to leave a piece on a chuck, they're just fitted with differing jaws for quick change of holding method.

I must be lazy I only start and finish one project at a time. I always have the next project in mind but do not start it until I have completed the one I am working on.

Vic

Im so glad this question is being asked in the turning part of the forum- therefore only applies to turning projects :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Excellent question Jon and the answers make me feel much better.
I've given up counting chair legs and stretchers as jobs in waiting - they're just background noise to all the other stuff that needs doing. Add an old house to that and it becomes impossible to fit them all into the regular time scale. An Einstein is definitely needed to introduce some form of time dilation into workshops. :D

Well thank God for that !!!
I thought it may be only me that could not concentrate on one single project through to completion

I regularly get asked "aren't you going to finish the ..<insert unfinished object name>.." , but as she turns as well it tends to be when she has only one job on the go.

As for other projects not being included in the turning forum, I think it would need another completely new section titled "Unfinished tasks"... now thats an idea for the Forum mods.

I'm not a turner, but I have about 3 main jobs (kitchen, garden and shed) on the go at the moment. Plus lots of other small things (finish vice jaw, mallets and shooting board) which need doing, but haven't been started yet (but I've been able to buy the wood for them).

Back