How long for a Rob Cosman plane tuning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corneel":y8jch6j2 said:
G S Haydon":y8jch6j2 said:
J_SAMa":y8jch6j2 said:
Not really happy... I am using waterstones and they are fast, so fast I can feel the blades being ground. But I'm tired of flattening them. I'd been flattening them with a diamond stone and now the diamond stone is glazed :(. I'd wanted to switch to oilstones... until I saw the price tags... A Norton stone costs more than a diamond stone :evil:
Sam

I'm surprised they are so expensive! A norton combination stone is quite cheap in the UK and even cheaper in the US.

Indeed, you'll have to learn Dutch when living in The Netherlands :lol: Makes life a lot cheaper. This was the first hit when I was searching for "Norton India slijpsteen". 12,44 euro (+Vat + shipping).

http://www.teygeler.nl/product-2875-combinatie-slijpsteen-norton-711053.html

Thanks, but I think this El Cheapo diamond stone is a better bet...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-6-inch-Extra-Diamond-Stone/dp/B0057FDC9E
Much cheaper... And Amazon does free shipping for orders £25 and above. It gets some good reviews, will try and do one myself if I decide to buy it.
Sam

I have seen these shorter 150mm stones Sam, no reason why it would not be ok although I would prefer a longer stone than the regular 200mm of my oil stone.
Hope it works out and looking forward to the feedback.

Dangermouse":3ssf966m said:
So you have to sharpen SAWS !!!!????????????? :shock:
I reckon a lot of people put up with blunt saws and blame technique, or the saw itself, for not sawing properly.

G S Haydon":63damb7s said:
I have seen these shorter 150mm stones Sam, no reason why it would not be ok although I would prefer a longer stone than the regular 200mm of my oil stone.
Hope it works out and looking forward to the feedback.

I think the only reason why one would want a stone longer than 150 mm is for use with a honing guide. I freehand sharpen and use an 8-figure motion. Requires no more than 100 mm stone length.
One thing though is the width... How would you sharpen a jointer blade (60 mm) on a 50 mm stone?
Sam

Jacob":1cm3bky5 said:
It seems the Japs don't do their own - which is a relief as there is no incentive to go all oriental with complicated messy systems and difficult materials.

Hello,

Proper Japanese saws can be sharpened, and indeed, there are Japanese saw files to do it.

Mike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 768
Well, it seems to me that the edit button is there to assist in the moping up of typos.

Pontificating about perfectly good kit, when one has not even read the instructions, seems unwise.

David

Sam, corneel is dead right. And your right, you will be able to work just fine with a shorten stone. Although text suggests that no shorter than 200mm is best and the guy who wrote that book was not a jig man at all. Also width was also suggested at around 45mm. My experience with using a long piece of broken slate worktop as an experiment was nicer than the 200mm stone. I think there is a Lie-Nielsen factory tour vid that shows blades being honed on stones much longer than standard, freehand too from memory. Just checked, here it is http://youtu.be/NsGMOVtddlM?t=3m11s

David C":2lk0xqmd said:
Well, it seems to me that the edit button is there to assist in the moping up of typos.

Pontificating about perfectly good kit, when one has not even read the instructions, seems unwise.

David
Wos Dave on about?
NB 2 Ps in 'mopping" unless you actually meant moping. (Typo - use the edit button :lol: )
PS top marks for "Pontificating" - a faultless performance, well done Dave.

G S Haydon":4eva07yk said:
Sam, corneel is dead right. And your right, you will be able to work just fine with a shorten stone. Although text suggests that no shorter than 200mm is best and the guy who wrote that book was not a jig man at all. Also width was also suggested at around 45mm. My experience with using a long piece of broken slate worktop as an experiment was nicer than the 200mm stone. I think there is a Lie-Nielsen factory tour vid that shows blades being honed on stones much longer than standard, freehand too from memory. Just checked, here it is http://youtu.be/NsGMOVtddlM?t=3m11s

Any particular advantages using a stone as narrow as 45 mm can give?
Sam

swagman":3qsbj0yv said:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=21&sti=Laurel-And-Hardy-Busy-Bodies =D> =D> =D>

Classic , anyone who hasn't already watched it do so =D>
:shock: but blimey don't they look young.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

David C":25hqqpsy said:
It ought to be fairly clear, Rubbish about Honerite.

David
Dave I'm pleased to see that you have finally twigged that Honerite is rubbish. Better late than never.
NB it's probably perfectly OK but what makes it rubbish is the price.

cheers

Clint Grimsdale

J_SAMa":2hj9u4rp said:
G S Haydon":2hj9u4rp said:

Any particular advantages using a stone as narrow as 45 mm can give?
Sam

The only comment I can give, and this is not with experience "wider ones will hollow quickly and require frequent rubbing down" something you will never have to worry about with your diamond plate :D

Jacob":19ljuq3o said:
J_SAMa":19ljuq3o said:
bugbear":19ljuq3o said:
It was a Wood River, similar to Rutlands own.

BugBear

Wood River is a premium... At least Quangsheng is.
Also I remember Rob Cosman was paid to appear in one of the videos Woodcraft made. He's probably endorsing Wood River now.
He is.
http://www.robcosman.com/tools_planes-woodriver.php

Have a look at this. It might be an April fool I suppose:
http://www.robcosman.com/tools_angle_trainer.php
Or is it the answer to the big enigma;
Q. how could everybody sharpen freehand in the old days without a problem?
A. They practiced for many years with "angle trainers". Obvious innit? Now we know.

This made me laugh too http://www.robcosman.com/tools_lapping_fluid.php
Probably one of the most expensive fluids known to man. :shock:
Makes water non rusting! Brilliant.
He doesn't stock oil stones I notice. Non of them do. I wonder why? :lol: :lol:

I was too tired to read all of the posts to see if someone else mentioned this: Didn't Mr. Cosman contaminate his fine stone when he moved his blade from a coarser stone to his fine stone without removing the coarser grit/swarf?

RB61":1d2xb5t7 said:
I was too tired to read all of the posts to see if someone else mentioned this: Didn't Mr. Cosman contaminate his fine stone when he moved his blade from a coarser stone to his fine stone without removing the coarser grit/swarf?

Here's the thing with swarf (especially waterstone swarf): it is (much) finer than the stone. That means the swarf particles from a #1000 stone are not #1000 in size, but much smaller. So the swarf from his coarser stone is probably as fine as his finer stone.
And that is due to the fact that the particles on the stone fracturing into smaller particles... Or something 8)

News I read on another forum (woodnet).

Direct from Warren, ME:

"Thank you for your inquiry! The new honing guide is into early
production stages and should start shipping by Thanksgiving. We are
going to produce a single honing guide with one additional set of jaws
that fits Mortise blades, and then in the new year we will start
releasing additional jaws for all different types of blades, such as
skews. Eventually we hope to offer a full set, but the starting Guide
will be around $100. We are taking preorders, [and] we can just give you a call when they
come in."

Looks like I can keep ANOTHER 100 dollar in my pocket. Plus all the extras of course.

woodnet":bpxj8d6f said:
The new honing guide is into early production stages and should start shipping by Thanksgiving. We are going to produce a single honing guide with one additional set of jaws
that fits Mortise blades, and then in the new year we will start releasing additional jaws for all different types of blades, such as skews. Eventually we hope to offer a full set, but the starting Guide
will be around $100. We are taking preorders, [and] we can just give you a call when they come in."[/i]
yah, another toy... :mrgreen:

And you heard it here in the Hand Tools section where it most definitely IS about the toys.. err the tools.

Cheers, Vann.

Back