How I will hold it tightly,,,,,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joethedrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
pops shed 058.jpg
Hello good woodspinners,,,,,
Got to thnking about holding things tightly, and Betty the barmaid at our "local" sprang to mind, so after a visit to sample her delicacies for lunch: on my return, I am posting up a picture of my latest creation to hold pieces of wood while they are being subdued into blanks suitable for turning.
I needed to create something that would minimise the need for a trip to A&E whilst holding the wood with my foot,,,,, (apparently A&E gets busy during my waking hours)..
Before I went to see Betty, it gripped really tightly, and I will give it a "try" later, when I have had a little nap, and see how it goes,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• pops shed 058.jpg
    pops shed 058.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 887
Hi

Same principal as one of these:

Clamp.png

And same caveats apply - ensure the jaws are fully in contact with the work and then apply pressure by adjusting the screw farthest from the work.

Where ever possible I'd put the work between the two threads in your version.

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Clamp.png
    Clamp.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 864
Hi Mick,,,,that was the original idea but it grips tighter when it"s at the end, and I have more access to cut bits off,,, Will have another go when the lunch wears off,,,
,,,,,,joe,,,,

joethedrummer":1tyxz5x6 said:
it grips tighter when it"s at the end,

Hi Joe

I think you'll find that if you put the work between the threads and adjacent to one it will grip at it's best due to maximising size of the contact area between the work and the clamp. Lining the faces of the clamp with rubber, (eg. car tyre), would also improve grip I think.

Regards Mick

Mick,,, Good thought and thanks for it ,,,I"ve got a couple of strips of 40 grit emery that I was going to doublestick between the bars,, but then perhaps 90 degree rows of weld might be more durable,,,?

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,,

Nice Idea. You may find that the threaded stud nearest the wood in the picture or the top bar will start to bend as any force applied at the outer screw is magnified at the front screw (fulcrum) with the hole drilled in the bar for the thread it is also the weakest part of the bar.

I suppose it depends how tight you intend to hold the wood.

Hello again procell,, might have to reinforce the top bar if it bends,, but have just crushed the living daylights out of a piece of plum tree that had split on drying, so will keep your advice in mind if all goes wrong ,,,,
,,,,,joe,,,,,,

Back