How do u keep ur's.....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is one of those things where old school works but new school may only be a little better?

I’m nearly 50 and have always coiled cables around stuff, and other than an incredibly old hoover have never had a problem.

The over under method and other ideas are definitely valid, but are they worth the extra time spent?

I think this is one of those things where old school works but new school may only be a little better?

I’m nearly 50 and have always coiled cables around stuff, and other than an incredibly old hoover have never had a problem.

The over under method and other ideas are definitely valid, but are they worth the extra time spent?
Agree. If its isnt a problem why fix it. (unless its an HSE matter), we have a practical hobby where pragmatic things work. Some people enjoy fitting out their shop with well made beautiful fixtures, others a rough and ready tool wall. Both work and suit the need. However the over under method, takes no extra time and does reduce tangles.
Once learnt (its easy), over under method is a good habit, it works for hozepipes, ropes, extension cables,. It takes no longer than the wrap round method, you just reverse your hand every other turn. A lot of us have extension cables for the garden hanging on the outside door and this helps keep them from getting tangled, especially when the teenagers help. Having a system is really helpful if working with others, they have something to follow.

For the bigger tools I find coiling round the tool works fine and has done for years, especially if it has a arm or something to coil too. But the smaller tools the cable can get in the way or tangled, especially if at the back of a draw in which case the cable Velcro tie very useful. I have a 50 year old B&D drill and have had to tape up the emerging cable due to wear and coil abuse, so horses for courses really.

I found that compared to most suppliers it was a lot cheaper to buy a 50m arctic cable reel from screwfix and just cut lengths off that. I appreciate the quality might not be as good as some, but it certainly stays flexible and is a big improvement over the flex that most tools seem to come with nowadays which tend to be cheap looking and often too short.

Back