How do they get away with this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrytpot

Established Member
Reaction score

For those without a fb account, its a post from someone selling brand new Tormek grinders for less than £25…
obviously a complete scam but how do fb let this stuff get posted in the first place. 😡

Money. FB don't give a monkey's. Same as Amazon allowing snake oil such as the little stickers that are supposed to protect you from harmful WiFi radiation. If you see it on FB, report it. I believe some get taken down.

Its not a case of FB doesnt give a rats, there are millions of pages and it is unreasonable to even think FB vets each and every one.

Much like on here or any other forum. If something looks suspect, its the users that report it to the mods, who then take care of the problem.

so if you see one of these obvious scams on FB, dont go running off to a different forum to complain that FB isnt doing anything and therefore FB is a whatever, hit report and report it yourself as i have done many times.

obvious scams on facebook.
I created an account ( basically a "defensive account" to protect against anyone using my business name ) back in the days ( many years ago, not long after facebook became available outside' of the USA ) when only one account could use any particular name . I posted no content at all.
48 hours later I received a message from facebook's advertising dept , sent to an email account that i created uniquely on my own secure mail server just to recieve communications from facebook ) informing me that I had 42 followers ( how , my "page" was not "public" and it had zero content ) and that if I wanted to increase my follower numbers from 42, I could buy advertising to do so.
They lie to their users..their users are the product.. to be bought and sold..no morals involved.
I have never been back, nor will I ever.all facebook ip addresses are blocked on all my devices, as are all their trackers and scripts and 3rd party cookies on all other sites.
facebook are scammers..it is a nest of scammers..I would not trust any thing that mark z has a finger in further than I could throw his corporate HQ.I await eagerly the fall of the facebook ( rebranded to meta, in the hope that people will forget the various things exposed about it and him and his empire ) and hope that one day he will be behind bars..his empire is toxic.

everyday I see ads for brand new E-bikes that would retail at least about £1500 advertised as $89. I don't know why they go so low. Would be more realistic to try say $250 which would be a bargain but somewhere that might just be possible and more convincing.

I guess they just catch people that really don't have a clue.

I report when I can be bothered but I have no vested interest in FB and rarely go on there if i can help it.

I use FB Marketplace for local stuff only and it's not bad for scams, they get taken down quite quickly. I've had some brilliant bargains on it - I just this week got a 3m x 1.5m sheet of aluminium for £25.
Planning on having a big turkey at Christmas?

everyday I see ads for brand new E-bikes that would retail at least about £1500 advertised as $89. I don't know why they go so low. Would be more realistic to try say $250 which would be a bargain but somewhere that might just be possible and more convincing.

I guess they just catch people that really don't have a clue.

I report when I can be bothered but I have no vested interest in FB and rarely go on there if i can help it.
Because sadly there is probably a correlation between those who are most likely to fall for these scams and their disposable income - and lots of $89 is still worthwhile for the scammer

obvious scams on facebook.
I created an account ( basically a "defensive account" to protect against anyone using my business name ) back in the days ( many years ago, not long after facebook became available outside' of the USA ) when only one account could use any particular name . I posted no content at all.
48 hours later I received a message from facebook's advertising dept , sent to an email account that i created uniquely on my own secure mail server just to recieve communications from facebook ) informing me that I had 42 followers ( how , my "page" was not "public" and it had zero content ) and that if I wanted to increase my follower numbers from 42, I could buy advertising to do so.
They lie to their users..their users are the product.. to be bought and sold..no morals involved.
I have never been back, nor will I ever.all facebook ip addresses are blocked on all my devices, as are all their trackers and scripts and 3rd party cookies on all other sites.
facebook are scammers..it is a nest of scammers..I would not trust any thing that mark z has a finger in further than I could throw his corporate HQ.I await eagerly the fall of the facebook ( rebranded to meta, in the hope that people will forget the various things exposed about it and him and his empire ) and hope that one day he will be behind bars..his empire is toxic.
Come on, don't hold back, say how you really feel! I'm such a sheep I just don't think about this stuff anywhere near as much as I probably should. I have recently been thinking about what cess pit of info FB is and how it acts as an echo chamber for what you click on. Fortunately I'm intelligent enough to realise what I am fed is a result of all the tracking on me, rather than because it's the truth. If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

I'm happy I left FB many years ago, life is so much more peaceful and less stressful!

I got my morticer for £175 off FB.
eBay had them for £400+

It's a marketing platform of course but just ignore them!!

Jameshow said
"I got my morticer for £175 off FB.
eBay had them for £400+
"It's a marketing platform of course but just ignore them!!"
No..it is a tracking platform that drops cookies , scripts and "everlasting cookies" ( which will persist even after a hard drive format..and allow facebook and those who pay them, to track everything you do, have ever done, or will ever do on line in order to influence you what to buy elsewhere, what prices you are shown for goods and services elsewhere, how you vote, how much you pay for insurance etc etc etc.
So..your lifetimes privacy is worth £325.oo ?
Do you have curtains on your windows, doors on your toilet and bathrooms, transparent exterior and interior walls on you house. ? Would you live like that "offline" ?

Well, if you use facebook, insta, etc ..facebook and anyone who wants to pay them knows every last little page on the web you looked at, how long your mouse hovered over that tempting girl / guy on the dating ad ..What your preferences in the sack are, what you might try etc etc . And they'll sell all that about you to anyone who pays the price to hook into their data about you, your family , your kids, your friends, They already know who you know even if the others are not on facebook.
They know more about your "online life" than you do yourself, you might forget a site you went to when you'd had a few drinks, they never will, and they know exactly how long you looked and where you went next.

The Stasi would have died to have the insight into people's private lives, wishes, dreams, kinks , health etc that facebook do.

facebook know more about you than GCHQ , the NSA and all of the other 3 letter agencies combined...and they'll sell what they know, or access to that data to anyone who'll pay..and the price of access to all the data about your life online..and even some of what you do offline, ( shops and organisations, banks, credit companies etc ,allow facebook and others to access data about your offline purchases ) is less than 10% of what you "saved" on your morticer.

Last edited:
It costs nothing to sign up to FB - because you as a member are the product they are selling.

It is evident from the "suggestions" they send me every few days that they are (a) monitoring my internet usage, and (b) probably linked to that of the people who I have befriended.

I originally signed up only because an increasing number of restaurants, events, businesses etc were using FB rather than a traditional web presence. It's somewhat marginal whether the continued benefit outweighs the intrusion.

No..it is a tracking platform that drops cookies , scripts and "everlasting cookies" ( which will persist even after a hard drive format..and allow facebook and those who pay them, to track everything you do, have ever done, or will ever do on line in order to influence you what to buy elsewhere, what prices you are shown for goods and services elsewhere, how you vote, how much you pay for insurance etc etc etc.
So..your lifetimes privacy is worth £325.oo ?
Do you have curtains on your windows, doors on your toilet and bathrooms, transparent exterior and interior walls on you house. ? Would you live like that "offline" ?

Well, if you use facebook, insta, etc ..facebook and anyone who wants to pay them knows every last little page on the web you looked at, how long your mouse hovered over that tempting girl / guy on the dating ad ..What your preferences in the sack are, what you might try etc etc . And they'll sell all that about you to anyone who pays the price to hook into their data about you, your family , your kids, your friends, They already know who you know even if the others are not on facebook.
They know more about your "online life" than you do yourself, you might forget a site you went to when you'd had a few drinks, they never will, and they know exactly how long you looked and where you went next.

The Stasi would have died to have the insight into people's private lives, wishes, dreams, kinks , health etc that facebook do.

facebook know more about you than GCHQ , the NSA and all of the other 3 letter agencies combined...and they'll sell what they know, or access to that data to anyone who'll pay..and the price of access to all the data about your life online..and even some of what you do offline, ( shops and organisations, banks, credit companies etc ,allow facebook and others to access data about your offline purchases ) is less than 10% of what you "saved" on your morticer.
You make it sound like they hold a meeting once a week, bring out your file, and spend a couple of hours discussing all elements of your personal life!

I have a FB account, but I don't do much with it apart from buying the odd bargain on FBMP and perusing a few groups I belong to. Whilst typing this I've had adverts for TV's (thankfully the plug-in ones, not the Friday night ones) a £20 bread knife, a Nerf gun, and a Cannon camera - their tracking of me doesn't seem at all good and they can do what they want with my data, I'm clearly not that easily influenced as I managed to resist all their offerings.

On a slightly different note are Tormek any good? I only ask at the administer near me is closing down at they had them at 20% off

Last year my wife was looking for somthing and found them for sale at a very cheap price on FB marketplace, we were very suspicious and contacted PayPal who we were going to pay through, actually spoke with a person and told them of our concerns, they checked and confirmed that it all seemed okay and that we were covered if it was a scam,,of course it turned out to be a scam, we first got shipping details from China Post but the tracking numbers meant nothing and after a couple of weeks PayPal refunded our money. I guess no-one went knocking on the scammers door in china or whereever, so the scammers get paid whatever way it goes,,its a great business to be in!

Latest posts

Back