How do I put wooden knobs on?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awhitecat

Reaction score
I'm putting some small, beech knobs on the front of drawers. I'm not finding it easy. Getting the screws from the inside of the drawer to take up evenly is one problem. Holding the beech knobs whilst tightening another . Any suggestions?

Thankyou

awhitecat":2t2qcq4s said:
I'm putting some small, beech knobs on the front of drawers. I'm not finding it easy. Getting the screws from the inside of the drawer to take up evenly is one problem. Holding the beech knobs whilst tightening another . Any suggestions?

beechknob2.jpg

beechknob3.jpg

Thankyou.

your pics are caught in the spam trap - this will disapear when you have three posts.

personally i'd either screw them from the back, or use a dowel, or use glue - if one was feeling posh i supose you could also use a spiggot on the knob, a hole drilled to match in the drawer and a wedge from the back.

Strap wrench? Looks like a rubber band with a handle, normally used for removing oil filters, opening bottles & jars, generally applying torque to any round surface.

The knobs come with a hole drilled. I've drilled from inside the drawer with a countersink for the head of the screw. I'm putting a screw through from the inside and into the knob. Sounds simple doesn't it.?

I'm having trouble getting the screw to go evenly into the knob and having trouble holding the knob (They're very small) whilst tightening.

Thanks for your help.

The pilot hole you've drilled is too small (if you've done one at all). You shouldn't have any problem tightening the screw/holding the handle with the correct size pilot hole.

Cheers

Karl

beeckknobs7.jpg

The hole already drilled in the knob can be seen here together with the screw I am using.

I have drilled the hole from the inside of the drawer of a large enough diameter that the shank of the screw does not bind. It's true that the last couple of mm of the drawer, I've left so the screw-thread has to actually screw (?). It's getting the screw to take up square in the hard beechwood that I'm fighting.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

That screw looks rather thick for the size of the knob. I would use a thinner gauge screw. After drilling a pilot hole in the knob, screw the screw into it to cut the thread, then take it out and screw it to the drawer front.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Those look like 'conventional' woodscrews, single thread, tapered core.
You may find life easier with a more recent twin start thread screw with a parallel core. Drill the clearance hole in the drawer front for the thread/shank, whichever is largest, all the way through. That way you don't end up with a turn, or two, of the screw trapped between the knob and the drawer front. Make shure that the pilot hole in the knob is as near to the core diameter of the screw as possible, without being larger. That recipe normally works for me.
It is important that the pilot hole, in the knob, is square to the back face of the knob. Check by putting a drill of the correct diameter in the hole and gauging by eye. You will see if it is a long way out by spinning the drill between your fingers. If the knob appears to wobble, the hole is off square.

xy

You need to use a screw with a smaller shank - that screw is far too big.

Cheers

Karl

Joined 2006
3 posts

Could this be a wind up.....
knobs and all?????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike

dicktimber":dj4qaour said:
Joined 2006
3 posts

Could this be a wind up.....
knobs and all?????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike

Note to self........

Always beware newbies askings stupid questions :lol:

Ok, smaller screws.......... I'll try that first - of course, I have already drilled the holes in the drawers!

You are of course correct - I am a stupid newbie and am asking stupid questions.

Thanks for the help.

There never was a stupid question....
Use some wax on the screw threads first,so if a problem arises it will come apart easily.Next install the screw into the knob first then back it out and reinstall it to the drawer.And get some grip with a phillips head screw,not those old fashion flat drive screws.Or square drive screws ,even better then those flat drive dinosaurs.
If this will not work for you ,you can always buy machine bolts that go with beech knobs.

Back