How can I find someone to produce a chair designed by me?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutu

Reaction score
Hello there,

I have been designing chairs for quite some time and now I ve finally managed to get some attention and have been asked to exhibit at an international fair.

I am looking for someone to produce my first prototypes in wood.

What is the best way to find someone who can produce it? Are there any websites were interested craftsmen promote themselves? Is anyone in this forum interested in producing it?

As you probably imagine, we are big time beginners when it comes to this industry so any help, contacts or suggestions are more than welcome.

If anyone is interested, the chair is simple with a geometrical theme hence I think its easy to produce (even though I might be overseeing something that more expert eyes can spot)

Anyway, thanks, and hope someone can help.

HI cutu, and welcome to the forum.

There are lots of people who would make a chair to your specification. It would be helpful to know a few more details, like where you are located and how may units you are looking for. You can edit you Personal Profile to tell us where in the world you are.

Cheers
Steve

Welcome to the forum. :)

It would be good if you could give us a rough indication of where you are (in the UK?). It would make it easier for people to contact you, if they're interested and not far away. :wink:

I'm sure we can also appreciate that you probably won't want to post these designs publicly on an open forum.

Im surprised nobody on here has volunteered their services.

To be honest Im not really too concerned where you are - if you want me to look at it and give you a price, Id be only too pleased.

Contact me through my website listed below

Cheers
Steve

Mr T":jikqksax said:

It's a great list with some great names that I know well, however in my eyes this is a closed group for me. A fine collection of carpenters but try getting on that list.

If you based in or near London I would be more than happy to have a look, as said above.

Patrick

Mreagleeyes wrote:

however in my eyes this is a closed group for me. A fine collection of carpenters but try getting on that list.

..........do I sniff a little envy/annoyance at not being able to get into that 'inner circle' ?..........I shouldn't worry about it - the RPT (Register of Proffessional Turners) is just as bad - you need to be referred by another RPT to get in and if you're not personally known to another RPT member then that's a no-no,

Rant over....(..if I've got your feelings right)

Really like that unit which is your front ( and only ?) page.

Chris.

cutu":2xafb1c0 said:
Hello there,

I have been designing chairs for quite some time and now I ve finally managed to get some attention and have been asked to exhibit at an international fair.

What is the best way to find someone who can produce it? Are there any websites were interested craftsmen promote themselves? Is anyone in this forum interested in producing it?

As you probably imagine, we are big time beginners when it comes to this industry so any help, contacts or suggestions are more than welcome.

If anyone is interested, the chair is simple with a geometrical theme hence I think its easy to produce (even though I might be overseeing something that more expert eyes can spot)

That is the word that is putting professional furniture makers off. We've all starred in this before.

People who want prototypes made generally have ambitions to have the designs mass-produced for the general market. These days this involves taking said prototype to a factory in China.

I would have no problem making a protoype chair for someone in this situation so long as I was getting paid my normal hourly rate for the work involved - which inevitably is many hours.

So if the OP is prepared to spend £2000 - £3000 having a prototype made then I'm interested. I can guarantee a top notch prototype. If he can't afford that then he can't afford to go into the furniture business.

Cheers
Brad

Scrums":5n2v4neq said:
Mreagleeyes wrote:

however in my eyes this is a closed group for me. A fine collection of carpenters but try getting on that list.

..........do I sniff a little envy/annoyance at not being able to get into that 'inner circle' ?..........I shouldn't worry about it - the RPT (Register of Proffessional Turners) is just as bad - you need to be referred by another RPT to get in and if you're not personally known to another RPT member then that's a no-no,

Rant over....(..if I've got your feelings right)

Really like that unit which is your front ( and only ?) page.

Chris.

Not envy just a sad feeling for the up and coming young people on the circuit who are taking things one step further than Dovetails and veneer's. It's an old boys club that has no place in this modern age.
Rant over.

Ha ha, that web page, teach me to get a student to do it for me, seems to be in a constantly comatose when I speak to him. Not long according to yesterdays conversation.

Sorry for the High jack original post, no more from me.

Cutu we need more info about you, where you are, have you just finished college or working for a massive company, all these things would help us all out in helping you out.

Is there something strange here? Cutu has made one post, and in 24 hours, after a dozen helpful and entirely constructive replies, has not come back. I'm not trying to start anything (goodness knows we have had enough of that) but this just seems perverse to me. Cutu, where are you? Do you just have intermittent internet access or something? That would explain it, I suppose.

It just seems a bit odd to me.
S

Steve Maskery":1gnx2let said:
Is there something strange here? Cutu has made one post, and in 24 hours, after a dozen helpful and entirely constructive replies, has not come back. I'm not trying to start anything (goodness knows we have had enough of that) but this just seems perverse to me. Cutu, where are you? Do you just have intermittent internet access or something? That would explain it, I suppose.

It just seems a bit odd to me.
S

That's funny, I had the same feeling

Well, Cutu is an international brand it seems: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/19077
Cutu":2msqcvzn said:
Hello there,

Looks a bit familiar :? Maybe the US dollar works out cheaper than sterling :lol:

Sorry for delay. As someone correctly predicted I didnt have access to a computer today.

First of all thank you very much for all your replies. Appreciate the pieces of advice.

I shall be updating my contact details right away. In summary we are based in London (N1) and this is the first design we ve decided to produce.

Should you be interested in seeing the sketches of the chair please email me or send me a Private Message and I ll send them to you right away.

Thanks,

Why did you post on an American website?

I smell a rat. Be careful guys.

cutu":cnkxqgiz said:
Sorry for delay. As someone correctly predicted I didnt have access to a computer today.

First of all thank you very much for all your replies. Appreciate the pieces of advice.

I shall be updating my contact details right away. In summary we are based in London (N1) and this is the first design we ve decided to produce.

Should you be interested in seeing the sketches of the chair please email me or send me a Private Message and I ll send them to you right away.

Thanks,

Sorry but pineapple off.

Back