How big is your workshop/garage/shed/cupboard/doghouse

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My humble shed is my workshop, its about 8feet by 10 feet (may be smaller)with home made work benches on both sides and at the far end.
As for tools, most are from B & Q as they are cheep or Wickes.
I have got a sip lathe, my pride and joy, table saw cross cut saw, router and 3 hand drills, oh and a pillar drill and a morticer that I also use as a pillar drill.
I have only been doing woodwork for just under a year, never touched a tool in 61 years before, except at school and I was hopeless then.
I must admit I love the lathe and all the different woods.

8' x 6' brick shed with 8' x 8' extension,built mainly to have space for a lathe.
So obviously have a lathe :lol:
Lots of chisels
Pillar drill
Two small bandsaws
Two bench grinders
Air filter
Vacuum cleaner
Bench with morticer,mitre saw,and compound mitre saw stored underneath
Two cordless drills

Also have outside bench,8' x 12' timber store,and timber drying rack.
And router table and large table saw in the garage (and the car..)

Andrew (who would love one big workshop :wink: )

6ftx14ft Half-brick, half wood shed... TS, SCMS, Thicknesser, Drill-Press, Grinder, Bandsaw, Morticer, Router Table & Scrollsaw - Nothing's fixed in place, everything gets moved around absolutely all the time. Large double garage used for storing wood, garden machines and broken kitchen appliances... and also for any time I need a big space for something. I'll probably convert the garage to a workshop one of these days.

3m x 3m room with p/t, table saw, chip extractor, roll cab tool chest - all on wheels. I have a workbench that is about 2m long and shelving / tool storage on the walls to try and keep the floor free of stuff. If I need a bigger space then I move outside and as the p/t and table saw are on wheels I can move them outside too which is handy.

Steve

Oh dear I feel like I am boasting now but I have a custom built workshop of 24' X 13' in my garden and it still seems too small for me! Mind you that could have something to do with it having: Elu Planer thickensser, Grizzly planer, Elu RAS, Draper full height pillar drill, Draper 6" bandsaw, Rotuer table, Compressor, 36" Record lathe, Delta disk and belt sander, A large dust extractor and two fine dust vacuums along with numerous power tools in cupboards and on shelves and a B&Q special table saw in the middle. No wonder I have trouble building the large gates I do! :shock:

Just a single garage which is shared with the usual garage junk/stuff (i.e. no car, but everyting else).
I have a pillar drill, SCMS, Home built router table, benchtop table saw, workbench, 4m of kitchen worktop and cupboards. Just about every inch of wall space is used, and the floor space seems to get smaller every day.
My wood storage is against one wall, and the rest is suspended on chains fromt he joists above.

Along with my tools, I have to store all the gardening stuff, the bikes, It also seems to be an overspill area for the kitchen. And every time I go in there I spot something that SWMBO has snuck out of the house for convenient storage.

Unfortunately my garden is too small for a shed, otherwise a lot of this stuff would go there.

Sorry for the long post but now that I've got the hand of the picture thing here's some more recent photos. Just wish I had the hang of photography. I'm luckier than some in that I have a double garage but space is still always an issue. All the machines are placed in such a way that they don't interfere with each other. This at times has been a trial and error process especially as new/replacement machines arrive.

workshop1.jpg

I recently bought this saw to replace my Kity 419 and boy does it do a good job! The home made out feed table at the rear doubles as my workbench and includes a vice mounter flush as to not obstruct material going over the saw. Anything 7 feet plus I have to open the garage door.

workshop2.jpg

All home made out of birch ply the doors open to reveal Norm style shelves on full extenssion runners. The morticer is mounted so when the it's fence it set as far back as it will go it is level with the fence of the mitre saw. This way both machines have unrestricted access both left and right. The router table I also designed with the fence set flush to the others and the height is the same as the bench so when against the wall I have around a 16 feet of flat bench. When needed the router table has locking castors and can be pulled forward.

workshop4.jpg

A locking cabinet in the corner keeps all spirits oils and other nasties away from the kids. The drill press is also castor mounted on a custom base. Note the Jun Air compressor. It's one of the best thigs I have ever bought for 2 reasons. Firstly it's as quiet as a fridge/freezer and secondly I bought it from a boot sale for a tenner. The guy said that someone had already bought it, and brought it back saying it didn't work. I took a chance that I could fix it. On returning home I plugged it in and indeed nothing happened but I quickly realised that this was besause it was already fully charged. I let some air out and hey presto nothing wrong with it at all. The bigger compressor was bought for spraying but I never use it. Should get rid really. You may also notice a tenoning jig on the wall. Despite the negative comments I have read on the forum I think it's great.

workshop5.jpg

Extractor and sanding machine. This kept blowing 13 amp fuses so I wired it to a 16 amp supply. Fortunately I live in Scotland so you can still do your own electrics or the ring main with 20 double sockets would have cost a fortune! The fire extinguishers I got after a little misshap where I was grinding down a coach bolt on the disc sander and a spark set on fire the dust in the extractor. It was all a bit of a panic but I was laughing about it a week later.

There is a Kity 613 in the last corner but the picture was a bit blurred and That's the only thing there.

Best tool I have - Trend T11 especially in the router table.
Worst tool - Trend fast track - useless!

I went from a very big double garage (10 years ago) to a single garage (5 years ago) and then moved to our latest house 3 years ago and have been building my workshop, slowly, since then.

It’s 14ft x 18ft, 7ft to the eves and 11ft to the ridge. Electrics got finished only about a month ago (lighting circuit, ring with 10 double sockets and a couple of 16amp circuits). All electrics are in steel conduit that came my way along with 50m of 10mm SWA at the price we all prefer…! Just busy giving it its first coat of Sadolin, but the cladding is pressure treated. My favourite recent innovation is the galvanised 5mm steel mesh that covers the gutters to keep the acorns out as the workshop is partly covered by an Oak tree. Incidentally, this was so easy to do but boy is it effective and even looks great.

EB 315 (I think) band saw.
Scheppach 2500ci with sliding table and width extension.
6in SIP planer on rolling cabinet
Axminster morticer and small Delta drill press on full length bench along one end
Workbench
Router table
Tormek tucked inside the above mentioned rolling cabinet
Selection of clamps hanging on the wall
Normal selection of power tools (routers, b-jointer, drill/drivers, jigsaw, circular saw, sanders….) hiding under the aforementioned full length bench.
Small selection of planes, chisels, hand saws and so on….
Wood rack.

I intend posting a belated WIP and share my successes and regrets for others to learn from. The workshop build took over a little bit and time hasn’t permitted many decent projects to come out of it….. yet.

Mines a 15' x 7' half brick conservatory (not attached to the house) that my Dad built years ago.:D Its brilliant for natural light.

10" table saw
bandsaw
pillar drill - bench mount
10" SCMS
Ryobi router + table

Luckily, my TS is placed infront of a window, so is ideal for ripping long lengths when opened.
It's quite compact and bijou and sorry to admit it folks but I've got a chair in it! :oops: I love sitting at my bench!

Back