Housing joint advice required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknoxx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm planning to build a large built-in book case with several fixed shelves. It will have a number of housing joints at decreasing distances. When I've done this before setting out and clamping router guides was very laborious especially as I didn't have an 18mm router bit and had to make guides for both edges of the cut.
Is there and easier way of doing this? I don't fancy a dado blade on a saw with 7ft boards much.
Thanks in advance

A router is the safest way of doing it, dado blades are widely regarded as unneccesary and potentially dangerous.

If 'twere me I'd look at screwing both sides to a baseboard edge to edge so that you can rout both at once for each time you set up. A good quality 18mm router bit won't cost the earth and you will use it time and again.

A pair of guide clamps and a big square like HC has just invested in and you'll have the job done in no time.

Use a router guide bush or a bearing guided bit and you can use a home made slot jig.

Si

Big square and a saw board. Substitute router for saw.
Saw boards are much cleverer than they look at first glance. Very quick to set up and make a very precise cut with a router or a circ saw. You just lay it on the line or the marks like a ruler, clamp it, and cut. No prob doing your two passes with a smaller cutter, if you mark both sides of the housing.

I just looked at the saw board in Jacob's link, very useful, but only if the sheet being cut is the same length as the saw board. Now if the notches at each end, for the clamps, were replaced by a rebate running the whole length of the back of the board. The board could then be used for any shorter length of sheet.

With there being some variation in the thickness of sheet material, even in one sheet. How about cutting the housing and then thicknessing the edge of your shelves to suit. very easily done with a hand held router with a bearing guided slitting cutter.
xy

This is the jig I use for my housing joints.
DSCN1245.jpg

I made it from some laminate after seeing a similar one on the internet. The base of the router runs against each side of the jig while the cutter cuts perfectly up to the inner edges which have been set by clamping the 'shelf' between it. The result is a perfetly fitting housing every time. HTH. :wink:

Back