House purchase, sewer under house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just4Fun":1tne8eta said:
RogerS":1tne8eta said:
You can get Indemnity Insurance for these sorts of things...get the vendor to pay the premium.
For how long?....

Can be for a long time and transferable to later owners. Depends on the insurer/underwriter etc.

These policies are only applicable if the risk can be quantified. Case by case basis unless it's a 'standard' type risk.

+1 for NoLegs' point that utility companies only have the sketchiest idea of where all their 'assets'(liabilities?!) really actually are!

I see that the sewer which (probably) goes under the house is 'combined' foul drainage and rainwater - this, for me, would be more of a concern than only foul drainage. Given the probable increased risk of 'extreme' weather events - a sewer loaded with rainwater is more risky.

Another point - did the search reveal the likelihood of new development in the village 'upstream' of the property. I surmise that most villages have sewers which are close to overload because the provision of drainage doesn't keep up with the construction of new houses.

Akwoody2402":2av96c2a said:
They paid 265 k 3 years ago, I’m now paying 282k. So they either weren’t aware or didn’t think it was an issue. Strangely my solicitor had no comment on it either, I’ll be speaking to them Monday morning and a planning officer from the council. Either way though I’m not sure I could live with the worry , especially as we weee planning on sinking a lot of money into the house extension and re jigging walls etc. I’d feel a right silly person if I went ahead and there was an issue at some point
My issue is, even if I get them inspected and they are fine now, the sewer could have issues in the future and I wouldn’t know about it until half the earth under the house has softened and moved. Probably a 0.001 % chance of happening it’s quite frustrating.

Given the 2 posts above that you made the impression is that you'll constantly be worrying and unhappy so if it was me I would cut my losses and walk away as whatever assurances you get just won't be enough and it's very likely you will soon be looking to move again which will cost you even more than you've lost to date.
The settlement crack whether or not caused by the drains will hit you in the eye and you'll forever be examining that to see if it's getting worse.

You'll limit your future buyers to those willing, or naive enough to ignore it. All assuming the information is correct of course and as advised I'd be around there pronto checking the manholes and maybe pouring some dye down.

Very hard to change course financially and emotionally and only you can decide the best for your family, ( what do they think about it btw?), but there's always another house.

If there is a main drain of above a certain size and or below 3 metres, the water authority wont allow any building works within 3 metres.

There are lots of projects that have geen cancelled because a build ofer agreement is refused, or cost to do is prohibative.

Since the law changed in 2011 wherby the water authority had to adopt loads of drains on private land, locations of drain runs is pretty sketcyy. You would like to think there would be a record of a main drain though #-o

There is no mention of the age of the house, but being a village there was probably all manner of development done before the advent of PP, building regs. and even the keeping of accurate maps.
I'd walk away for my peace of mind. :-"

I have no expertise in this subject but I would like to believe that a house would not be allowed to be built over an existing main sewer and, if that is the case, then perhaps the drawings are not up to date. From a sewer maintenance point of view it would be a nightmare for the water authority.

Steliz":20uu614i said:
I have no expertise in this subject but I would like to believe that a house would not be allowed to be built over an existing main sewer and, if that is the case, then perhaps the drawings are not up to date. From a sewer maintenance point of view it would be a nightmare for the water authority
Yep. Drawing out of date. Don't panic (yet).

Jacob":3j3ec9x6 said:
Yep. Drawing out of date. Don't panic!

And there is the voice of an experienced builder, surveyor, architect, planner who by looking at the pic you provided can definitively make a statement like that :lol: :roll:
He may well be right even though it would be a lucky guess but a remark like that is flippant and irresponsible.

I had a building company for 18 years and have seen some major horror stories including my own house built in the early eighties which contravened some serious regulations.

You're quite right to be concerned, get it checked out properly and if all is well then fine, it's possible that it may now be disused however even in that case it needs to be carefully considered as there is a possibility of collapse and ground settlement. It's your future home after all not a tool or a car that can be easily changed if you make the wrong decision.

Lons":uzig2kt4 said:
Jacob":uzig2kt4 said:

And there is the voice of an experienced builder, surveyor, architect, planner who by looking at the pic you provided can definitively make a statement like that :lol: :roll:
He may well be right even though it would be a lucky guess but a remark like that is flippant and irresponsible.
Don't talk utter rubbish, it's just a suggestion. He's already been well advised to get it checked out for definite.

Jacob":h90zmort said:
Lons":h90zmort said:
Jacob":h90zmort said:

Don't talk utter rubbish, it's just a suggestion. He's already been well advised to get it checked out for definite.
A suggestion usually includes the comment "I would suggest" or " IMO" :roll: You state as a fact!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not going to argue with a guy who has never ever admited he's wrong. Others can make up their own minds. You're a lost cause.

Lons":1x7xsb0a said:
Jacob":1x7xsb0a said:
Lons":1x7xsb0a said:

A suggestion usually includes the comment "I would suggest" or " IMO" :roll: You state as a fact!.......
Anybody with half a brain would work out it was just a suggestion. Obviously I don't know for sure.
Not going to argue with a guy who has never ever admited he's wrong. .....
You just started an argument and I've never worried about admitting I was wrong. You are just being insulting Lons, as normal. And tedious.

Anybody with half a brain would work out it was just a suggestion. Obviously I don't know for sure.
OK Mr half a brain, pleased you feel insulted. #-o :lol:

RobinBHM":35bxqh5f said:
Since the law changed in 2011 wherby the water authority had to adopt loads of drains on private land, locations of drain runs is pretty sketchy. You would like to think there would be a record of a main drain though #-o
The water authority were often responsible before that if other people's sewers ran into yours. Section 28, iirc. The row of semis that ours was on had drains that herring boned into the main drain and ours being the last they were responsible up to the manhole in our garden.

How badly do you want the house? If you really want it, get it investigated, as others have said the drawings are unlikely to be perfectly accurate. If you are not totally in love with the house though, move on and find another.

My father in law advised me to never buy a house with with a 'problem' (being under a pylon, next to a railway line etc. etc.) I know it's already been said, but if you need to move on it will probably bite you then. Might be a housing slump and you have to move for a new job or care for a relative. At that point they will be able to knock huge sums off - or you simply won't be able to move.

Think of all the stories you hear when people move house and discover problems even with all the searches coming back positive. The lack of information from the previous owner and their solicitors seems very unusual.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Sorry that you're having to go through all of this nonsense.

You all make very good points. I'm going to make enquiries to try and get a clearer picture. As some have said the map might not be accurate, and it may be I can get info from the council to ease extension concerns.

However the future sale risk and constant worry will be difficult to ignore, even if I do get above assurances. Knocking the seller down isn't necessarily going to change that either, certainly to the degree in could knock them down.

I'm walking away at the moment baring miracles next week. Feel bad on the entire chain , but I'd feel worse if I went ahead and we found issues

Hope it works out for you AK and it's all just an unfounded scare.
Horrible, stressful experience buying and selling a house. I've had 7 but even though this one was 31 years ago, you don't forget.

Good luck with it.

From a former surveyor, check the run first to ensure it DO go under. If it does, then a Barge Pole is the best option especially if you are thinking of any internal alterations or extensions.

An extension NEAR a sewer is probably more problematic than one over as at least if it goes over you can inset beams etc.

Phil

Treeturner what do you mean by barge pole, as in wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole ? Not heard that since my Halifax days

Back