HOT TIP ...Not all 07 numbers are to mobiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I have my phone and broadband with Talktalk business.

As many calls to mobiles and landlines and as much surfing and downloading as I like for the one fixed fee.

I am billed monthly and the calls are itemised usually a long list of mobile and landline calls with a £0.00 cost beside them.

This month however there was a call of a little over 4 mins duration to 070xxxxxxx which cost a bit over £2.50.

Said to myself, self you need to phone talktalk and find out why, but with other things going on I didn't get around to it.

I had bought an item the week before off off a well known online auction site which I wished to return and remembering that there had been a phone number on the listing which I had rang with some questions, before purchase, I thought I would ring again to check out their return policy.

I looked up the listing and when looking at the number I thought, that looks familiar, and on checking my phone bill it was the one which cost an arm for 4 mins.

Needless to say I emailed him instead.

Some of you I am sure will be aware of this but hopefully it may help the unaware to save a few pounds by avoiding these traps.

The devil is in the detail.
An 07 number is a mobile, and on your service should be free.
An 070 number allows the business to redirect your call to their landline or any where else. Thats what costs you.

This lifted from the web

070 - personal numbers

These are numbers allocated to an individual or business, who can use them to redirect incoming calls to any phone they wish, as and when they choose.

As an example, an individual could configure their 070 number to forward calls to their work phone in the daytime, but connect to their home phone in the evening. They can also be used to sequentially 'hunt' for an individual by ringing different phones in sequence or simultaneously.

A wide range of charges are in use for these numbers, from zero charge to 50p/minute or more.

brianhabby":slk2prv5 said:
You should be entitled to a refund of that £2.50 from the company you dealt with. Under the new Consumer Contract Regulations which have been in force for about two years, any firm you do business with must provide you with a basic rate telephone number for any post purchase enquiries.

Thanks for that info Brian. Good to know.

Unfortunately, in this case, it was a pre purchase call that I was charged for.

Back