Hooray!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't consider it a matter of politics, just common sense. But your view is possibly caused by the headline, delving deeper the court states that a blanket ban is illegal. So all the various governments, our is not the only one with such a ban, need do is extend it such as those on remand or similar. Hence my heading.
I would hope the European court is above politics.

Roy.

So basically instead of a simple, easily understood and widely supported policy. We will now have to have extensive legislation, complicated rules, more opportunities for crims to block, obfuscate, appeal and generally waste money time and effort.

Great move

Probably not Gareth. I've followed this for some time now. Initially a UK convicted murderer claimed the ban breached his HRs. The ECHR agreed. This latest decision is by the so called Grand Council.
It appears that the ECHR has no mechanism for changing it's mind, so HMG appealed to the GC.
Nearly all EU countries operate some form of ban, thus placing the ECHR in the awkward position, for them, of how to get out without looking complete idiots.
Personally I do not recall any EU government ever saying NO to the ECHR, many states have ignored them, but not actually telling them that they won't comply.
The last Lab Gov ignored them so the problem dropped into Cam's lap. The House voted with only 22 against to tell the ECHR where to get off. Hence the ECHR's problem.
Few alternatives exist for the ECHR, turn a blind eye is about all they could do, so they have to look for a face saving get out. Thus they have stated, via the GC that anything BAR a blanket ban is acceptable.
In Cyprus, for example, ALL prisoners retain the right to vote, provided that they are not in prison on polling day!!!!!
In Strasburg they stack the BS several stories high it seems.

Roy.

I like that you know what you are talking about on this topic and that is not just a rant :wink:

I am a pragmatist by nature and also hate a heavy "state" so in general do not appreciate being told how to do things by johnny foreigner (this is tongue in cheek btw). However a simple solution will always get my attention.

I love the idea of having the vote but only if they can get to the polling station at their home! Very amusing but it does worry me that all the little chavs and chavettes bleating to the press and councils about their "rights".

Scotland has a different legal system to England/Wales, I hear no screams that they should fall in line with the rest. With the EU crumbling around their ears it seems that some in Europe intend emulating Nero and fiddle whilst everything burns.

Roy.

Personally I would use the vermin we have in our prisons as targets on a bayonet training course.

another Gareth

If the ECHR had any interest in crim's rights the Cyprus situation would not be acceptable. They make a law, governments state they must be obeyed then legislate their way around it and the whole merry-go-round rolls merrily onward and they can sit back and look smug.
This example just shows how hollow and pointless the sad situation is.
Currently some 2500 UK prisoners are making claims, I'll hazard a guess that 2499 of them have never voted and have little intention of doing so.

Roy.

PS.

I've just found this......

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16234065

If the patient is show symptoms then he/she is dead. There is only one known case of anybody surviving rabies. In France tradition meant that family members normally eased their passing, till a few years ago when a family were brought before the courts.
A crime?

Latest posts

Back