Hook angles for Card scrapers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently own the Veritas scraper set with about five different thicknesses of card scrapers. Although I have used very successfully, I got to wondering tonight if there was a general recommendation about what hook angle a card scraper should be at relative to it's thickness. ight now I use the thinnest scrapers with approx 5 degree for fine removal and th ehook angles go up from there with the medium thickness scrapers around 8-10 dgrees and th ethickest up around 12-15 dgrees although I have never actually used the thickest card scrapers.

I came up with these numbers entirely on my own and wonder if they are far off from anyone elses. Maybe I should be doing things a little different to improve results. Sorry for all the questions lately but I am just learning as I go.

Appreciating all your help.

Kevin

I don't bother with different hook angles. File the edge square and straight, polish on a fine stone, then lay the scraper flat on the bench, turn a horizontal edge then put the scraper vertically in the vice and turn the edge over by about 5 deg (the burnisher is now used at 5 deg below the horizontal, so the edge has been turned through 95 deg) - Rob

Back