DIY Burnisher for sharpening a Card Scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I had a wee tad of an accident burnishing my skate scraper...I actually stabbed myself with the pointed end.

Only a drop of blood...no real harm, but I did burnish my skate blades and learned a lesson along the way!

On site, I've used screwdrivers too.A fella has to do what must be done, however that happens....

See them in use here..

Eric in the colonies

well, I had a wee tad of an accident burnishing my skate scraper...I actually stabbed myself with the pointed end.

Only a drop of blood...no real harm, but I did burnish my skate blades and learned a lesson along the way!

On site, I've used screwdrivers too.A fella has to do what must be done, however that happens....

See them in use here..

Eric in the colonies

Eric, Ye might wanna put the light on if you insist in working down a coal mine . . .

See them in use here..

Eric in the colonies

Why not use the shaft of a screwdriver? It's hardened and should do the job.
Use whatever at hand and if it works for you, great!

Decades ago, I bought a burnisher, UK made, that had the shaft plated. Worked out, until edge of the card scratched through the plating, making it worthless. point is, don’t use a screwdriver that has a plated shaft. I also used M1 hardened steel dowels. Weren’t highly polished, but still did a great job.

Seems there’s a lot of yapping about using blunt chisels, currently (Started after a YouTubie mentioned it), but I mentioned here quite a while ago and on American forums to pull a chisel (or plane blade) backwards, held vertically. Works great, but how much different is it than a Stanley 85 or 80 or 112, with a scraper blade honed at 45*?

Nothing new under the sun until YouTubies discover something done forever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back