honing guide on different stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I plan on getting the mk2 veritas honing guide and an coarse (or extra coarse) diamond stone for removing nicks and reforming the primary bevel.

If I use the guide on the diamond stone will it be ok to then use it on my norton 1000/4000 waterstone? Is it just a case of making sure the roller is clean to prevent any metal from the diamond stone or chisel being embedded in the waterstone?

Finally, i'd just like to know the best way to use the guide to prevent excessively hollowing the waterstone. Is it best to do a few passes in 1 direction and then a few in the opposite direction (ie. the portion of the stone that previously had the roller on it will be used for sharpening once the direction is reversed & vice versa)?

Hope that made sense :shock:
Cheers
Jon

Hello,
The best way to prevent hollowing of the stone is to flatten it everytime after use. This can be done with fine wet & dry on a piece of glass. It might even be advisable to flatten it during a sharpening session, if you're using the stone for a relativly long period of time. DC says it can be necessary every 5 minutes.

Jon
You can use the same guide on all your stones-just wipe it down between rits to ensure you don't contaminate the finer stones.
Remember-You should be putting the pressure on the blade, not the wheel. That way there will be no un-necessary wearing of the wheel.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

scooby":2cy0iwn1 said:
I plan on getting the mk2 veritas honing guide and an coarse (or extra coarse) diamond stone for removing nicks and reforming the primary bevel.

I find freehand more effective for "grunt" work; on plane blades I use a engineer's hand vise to hold the blade; this performs the dual role of making the blade more comfortable, and also means that the "object" is longer, allowing more accurate bevel angle control (memo to self - write this up for website)

BugBear

Latest posts

Back