Honing beading cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Following this recent thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=11400 I had a go today at making an MDF wheel for my hand grinder for honing the curved part of combination/multi plane irons. I will need to make several of different thicknesses to cater for different size blades, but I started with a scrap of 8mm MDF. I cut a disc using a 3 inch bi-metalic hole saw in my drill stand.

After mounting the disc on the grinder I found it was fairly easy to shape it using a coarse file and it wasn't that difficult to get a good match of the profile of the cutter. Ideally I would have used a larger disc but the hand grinder I have takes a maximum of 3 inch wheels.

The cutter I tried it out on was a 3/8" beading cutter from my Stanley #50. I had never honed the curved part of this particular blade before, so I used a fairly coarse grade of polishing compound. I found that this brought it to a very good finish very quickly. Being a hand grinder it was all very controllable and quite easy to polish the curved part of the blade evenly. I finished off polishing the flat parts of the blade on my leather strop and tried it out on a scrap piece of pine.

The results were excellent and certainly better than I had achieved previously with beading cutters in this plane. I had previously tried using slip stones (which you never seem to be able to get in the right sizes) and pieces of abrasive wrapped around dowelling, which I've never found particularly satisfactory. The MDF wheel I made gave a far better result and produced it very fast.

This was only a first go and I'm sure that with a bit more time, and using finer polishing compounds, I can get even better results. But certainly I'm very pleased with the results so far :wink:

Paul

I was quite surprised, Alf, how quick it was to produce and use (no doubt helped by the fact that I didn't stop for too many cups of coffee :lol: ). From start to sharp blade took just over an hour - and that included fiddling about with washers because my grinder is not that good and the wheel initially kept slipping. I wish I had tried it years ago - so simple yet so effective :wink:

Paul

Sounds like you've had some good first results Paul. I think thats great.

If interested I can take some photos of the wheels I use. May be something in it for you.

I don't use files at all. White grinding wheels speeds up the processes dramatically. Can buy wheels already profiled this way.....or you can shape a normal one with a dressing stick.......I'll never go back to slip stones and files now ( maybe only if the oil runs out :shock: .....thats when it'll pay to be an experienced hand tooler I suppose , eh. :lol: )

Jake Darvall":10gv5okb said:
Sounds like you've had some good first results Paul. I think thats great.

If interested I can take some photos of the wheels I use. May be something in it for you.

Yes please, Jake - I really like the stuff you do with very basic tools 8) so I'm always interested to see your methods :wink:

Paul

Shore....I'll try and get together some photos tomorrow, and post that night.

Not sure you'll be impressed by my makeshift settups though. But they work ! :lol:

Seeyou then.

Thanks Jake - I'll look forward to it :wink:

Jake Darvall":3tjortew said:
Not sure you'll be impressed by my makeshift settups though. But they work ! :lol:

I'm always impressed with your stuff, Jake :wink:

Paul

WOW Jake :shock: :shock: What can I say :?: Just had a quick browse through while having a coffee break from planing loads of oak :D

Thanks for taking so much trouble. There's some really useful stuff there (stating the obvious, really :roll: )

Later on today I'll print off all that stuff and have a good read - the quick browse has already given me loads of ideas :idea: :idea:

Once again, thanks a lot for going to so much trouble :wink:

Paul

Pleasure Paul.

Don't take it as gospel though. I mean, some of it may not suit you. And I'm forever trying new things.

But I seem to always go back to that freehand/hand rest method after trying new things. Seems to be the easiest way for me.

be sharpening old files into all kinds of shapes in no time (or maybe not :lol: )

Goodluck. :)

Latest posts

Back