Homespun Turning Tools again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
It's me again sorry to be a pest. Having decided to go ahead with attempting to produce some turning tools I have got hold of some carbide tips and now need to decide what material to make the tool bars out of.

I intend using 1/2" square stock and need a material that is going to be strong enough to take the forces involved but it also needs to be workable, cutting, filing, shaping, drilling and tapping, all to be done with hand tools (apart from drilling).

Suggestions, gratefully accepted.

Regards

Vic

Hi

BMS - bright mild steel will be plenty strong enough and look nice without you having to remove the mill scale.

If you use mild steel you may want to remove the scale, (for cosmetic reasons), pickling in citric acid or vinegar will do this.

Regards Mick

Edited to ask why you have decided to go with square section? - I'd go for round to facilitate easier presentation of the tip to the work and socketing of the handle.

If the tools are to be used in a 'Boring' configuration the square stock is a great advantage because it presents and helps hold the tool flat against any twisting forces.

They can even be used in a Gated Tool Rest to enhance this control.

Some quick pics.
DSCN4146 (Large).JPG
DSCN4147 (Large).JPG
DSCN4149 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4146 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4146 (Large).JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 2,724
  • DSCN4147 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4147 (Large).JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 2,723
  • DSCN4149 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4149 (Large).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 2,723
I tend to use round bar for my home made tools. Some of them are bright steel and some of them are just the black mild steel. I find that the mild steel is strong enough and easier to drill however the only down side is that I use 2 grub screws to hold the tip and the mild steel does hold the thread for as long as the bright steel.

I must admit I make mine mostly out of hot-rolled steel from Homebase/B&Q. It's cheap and readily available in 1m lengths and can be cut/filed/drilled and tapped easily. It's also pretty easy to bend - heat the point of bend to dull red heat and it'll bend very readily - I use the lathe toolpost hole as a convenient fulcrum :ho2

FYI: If you're going to produce a swan necked tool remember to have the cutting point approximately in-line with the main shaft to keep the turning forces down. As an alternative you can make an outrigger like the BCT tools but you have to use a wide toolrest - See http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning_Tools/BCT_Intro/bct_intro.html

The two tools on the left are 1/2" square hot rolled steel, the two on the right are made from an old 1/2" round support from a chop saw.

M5 tapped holes for HSS Sorby cutters though rather than WC.

HTH
Jon

Hi Chipmunk,,,congratulations ,,those tools look superb,,sometimes I use ex agricultural steel spikes which are too hard to work so I let them down either in the barbecue or with a blowtorch to anneal them,,,,,,I have just posted on the " Re Rutlands easy tools" post about obtaining tips for these tools we are making,,,, would you be so kind as to let us know where you are sourcing your tips ?
,,,,,joe,

Hi Joe,
Thanks, I'm glad you like them.

You can buy HSS tips from almost any Robert Sorby woodturning outlet but they aren't cheap....http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/product.php/section/6541/sn/RSCUTTERS_MST

They are all made with 5mm holes. If you're feeling adventurous you can make your own from a metalworking lathe HSS toolbit. I like the 1/8" x 5/8" x 4" toolbits sold by ArcEuroTrade...
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/High-Speed-Steel-Toolbits.

These can be cut with a Dremel cut-off wheel into short lengths and drilled with a 5mm TCT spade tile drill (take it slowly and use plenty of lubricant) or alternatively a 5mm slot can be cut with an angle grinder or Dremel into the back. I only get between 3 and 5 holes per tile drill before they chip beyond usefulness. Shape the cutters by placing then flat on the bench grinder table but please be careful!

Happy toolmaking!
HTH
Jon

Hi Jon,,many thanks for the info,,Sorby tips are sure not cheap and I am looking at some on ebay from Arizona which are being used by some of our compatriots,,again those tools look really nice!!
,,,,,,joe,,

Hi All, Just to let you know that I have made some turning tools using the advice given by forum members,

They turned out quite good ( IMHO ).

The carbide tips cut like a dream and leave a really good finish.

I have produced 4 tools for a total outlay of about £45 including the taps, drills etc that I had to buy and still have sufficient material to make another couple of tools.

Many thanks for the sound advice

Regards

Vic

Sounds good Vic, which tips did you use in the end and what kind of bar stock?

Still waiting for my tips to arrive before I can give it a go.

Cheers, Paul

paulm":3kufxf8u said:

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Pm sent

Regards
Vic

Spindle":rc3czrbc said:
Hi Vic

Why not share your choices with the rest of us?

Regards Mick
Sorry Mick, I didn't realise anyone would be interested.

Subject: Homespun Turning Tools again

paulm wrote:

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul, I used the Easy Wood Tips Ci1-R2, Ci1-R4, Ci1-Square, which I obtained from woodworkers supplies in the UK at £8 each and a round Carboly tip that was supplied by a friend .

I used 1/2" square bar stock taped out at 4mm for the Easy Wood tips and 3.5 mm for the round Carboly.

The bar length was 8.5" with an additional 4" tang. I used Sapele for the handles as I have quite a bit in stock and made them 20" in lenght.. For the ferrules I managed to blag some 28mm copper pipe from a local plumber..

To fit the tool bars onto the handles I drilled them out on the lathe and ground the corners off the tang until they were a tight fit and then used some 2 part epoxy to secure them.

The tools look just like the Easy Wood version and with their cutting tips on I should imagine that they perform the same.

I am really pleased with them the wood absolutely flies of and the finish is amazing, I am going to have to make a chip deflector as honestly the cuttings really fly at you And that is with fully dried timber, I've not tried them on wet wood yet but I am sure they will really plough into that.

If I can be of any help when you come to make yours please feel free to get in touch.

Regards

Vic

Thanks Vic

Always interested in peoples solutions - gives me food for thought. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

Regards Mick

Peter Sefton":1sb7h8vs said:
I think I am right in saying Vic bought his Easy Wood tips from us.
Cheers Peter

Quite right Peter, Super Service and advice from Garry, Will be contacting you shortly for some more bits.

PS The Web Site is looking good.

Regards

Vic

Spindle":2fsfyh9c said:
Thanks Vic

Always interested in peoples solutions - gives me food for thought. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

Regards Mick
Hi Woodspinners,,,,

Me too !!!!

,,,,joe,,,,

Taken delivery of a couple more Easy Wood Cutters including the Round Cutter And the Detailed Cutter from Woodworkers Workshop

Made the tools up and by god do they cut well.

Totally convinced that carbide is the way forward.

The tools are an absolute joy to use. if you are intending to have a go at making your own, I would definitely recommend a chip deflector. The speed that the cuttings fly at you is unbelievable !

I have no connection at all with the company but have a look at this link for the Easy Wood Cutters.
They have been so helpful.

I have loads of turning tools but may be selling most of them soon as the 5 tools that I have made using the Easy Wood Tips will cover all aspects of turning.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/

Regards

Vic

PS Thank you Pete & Garry

Back