Home made marking knife.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Shamelessly copied from Derek Cohen I made this today. The blade is made from a jigsaw blade, shaped using my disk/belt sander. I was surprised how quickly this went. The bevels were ground freehand (and need some more work) and the back flattened and polished on my Tormek. The ferrule was turned out of brass on my metalworking lathe. The handle is mahogany (I think) finished with a coat of black bison wax.

The components.
large.jpg

Assembled with epoxy adhesive and waxed.
large.jpg

John

Nice John!

I have used the one Derek sent me several times, though I have yet to use it for DTs and such. Works great--thanks again, Derek!

Like Alf mentioned, the tool making slope is a slippery one. But we follow all those before us who made tools for their use and enjoyment. Good company we keep!

Take care, Mike

Nice John

I made a similar one a while back and it is a joy to mark with a knife you made yourself.

Thanks for the kind words. It certainly is addictive, the pleasure of using a tool you have made yourself is a great reward.

It was Derek's sheoak one that inspired me to make mine. I need to work on the handle shape, Derek's is more elegant.

Saw handle next I think.

John

Johnboy":231reh90 said:
Saw handle next I think.
If we were nice people we'd be leading you carefully away from The Slope and getting you to sit in a darkened room for a while until the moment passed.

As it is...

"Helpful" link to save you a little searching time... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf :wink:

Nice work John! Look forward to your saw handle!
And Alf, I think he's well past the point of no return now. :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Nice work John! Look forward to your saw handle!
And Alf, I think he's well past the point of no return now.
Cheers
Ha ha, they say, as John slips into the abyss...another one bites the dust...er, shavings...

Take care, Mike

Philly":239ztkag said:
Now, Mike, you do your fair share of "slope greasing"tm :lol:
Philly :D
Yeppers...

I was using the all inclusive "They say"!

And on that note, you should see the curly Maple Kenyon saws, including the scaled down panel saw version, going off today :wink:

Take care, Mike
He who is working on someone special's saws today...

MikeW":2e16lnxx said:
And on that note, you should see the curly Maple Kenyon saws, including the scaled down panel saw version, going off today :wink:
And are we going to see them...? [-o< C'mon, I'm quite safe - not a jot of curly maple has ever crossed the threshold round here. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Thinking a decorative turned pot for The Grease (TM) might be nice. :wink:

Latest posts

Back