Holly - What to do with it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexupnorth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I spent a large part of the weekend pruning branches off some holly trees we have in the garden, which has left me with about 4 branches 4" and up in diameter and over 4 foot in length. I'd like to do something special with them, but don't know if they are big enough or worth the hassle. If they are of some use, what are the steps I need to take to season, prepare and otherwise turn them into something I can use?

Thanks,

Ade

bexupnorth":31mdmnio said:
Hi All,

I spent a large part of the weekend pruning branches off some holly trees we have in the garden, which has left me with about 4 branches 4" and up in diameter and over 4 foot in length. I'd like to do something special with them, but don't know if they are big enough or worth the hassle. If they are of some use, what are the steps I need to take to season, prepare and otherwise turn them into something I can use?

Thanks,

Ade

holly is notorious for shakes; quick, seal the ends! IIRC you also need to get the bark off.

BugBear

It's a really useful wood. Very dense and hard, but also very white. It's a good alternative to boxwood for small, hard wearing components. It turns well and will finish to a delicate edge. It is good for cutting threads in.

If you just leave your logs round, they will check as they shrink. When you eventually cut it up, the wastage will be significant.

If you can split the logs along the length, into two or four pieces, you will allow the wood to shrink in on itself without so much splitting.

It's worth keeping small branches too, which you can turn from the round.

I've got a dim memory of a technique involving a chain saw; you make a rip cut from perimeter to centre (i.e. along a radius).

This allows the log to open up as it dries, so you only have one big controlled "shake" instead of lots of little uncontrolled ones.

I'll try to find more info.

BugBear

Further evidence that holly is good for turning - I'm no turner but I managed to make this from a smallish branch - it's about 2 1/2" across:

A8B274F9-818E-4C97-8F88-6A6FA366BD25_zpsmm1mlp2u.jpg

and don't do this - an old log left in the round from 10 years or more ago when I knew no better - split internally and rock hard. If anyone wants to cut this down into usable bits you can have most of the wood - but you will need a very tough saw! (I'm taking about the thick log - the thin branch is perfect for tool handles, chess pieces etc. )

3D523F01-B79C-4A39-89AD-0F1F5DC9B949_zps1tuevk9x.jpg

I'd love to get some holly, but Bristol is a bit far for me.

I wonder if there is anyone who sells it. I don't think i've ever come across it for sale, though I haven't searched veneer.

Tetsuaiga":1h9f5jfr said:
I'd love to get some holly, but Bristol is a bit far for me.

Not sure where you got Bristol from buddy, I'm in North Yorkshire. If that's close enough for you you're welcome to come and grab some :)

Many thanks for all the tips, I'm going to be busy tonight by the sound of it. Sadly I have no access to turning equipment (or experience, or skill!) but will certainly grab some of the smaller branches for handles as suggested and will do what I can with the bigger stuff. Even if I make a pigs ear of it, I'm sure I'll learn something in the process.

Cheers,

Ade.

phil.p":2m9hrfa0 said:
Apparently it used to be a favoured wood for black chess pieces as it took the ebonizing well, and was a lot cheaper than box.

It's certainly close grained (diffuse porous) and hard.

BugBear

Back