Holding round wood for bandsawing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some small half round lengths of yew I want to band saw into thin planks. The lengths have very uneven edges and I would like some idea of how to hold them on edge to put through a small bandsaw - a Kity 612.

I don't think hand holding would be a good idea, but can't think of how to arrange a clamp of some kind.

Any ideas gratefully received !

A V block would most probably do the trick.

Somethng like:
14255.jpg

The one above is for accurate metal milling work. A similar wooden one can be shop made very easily. The clamp(s) are not mandatory but can be very handy to firmly clamp down the pice.

You might be able to modify the design of the Billet Sled in the current issud of Good Woodworking )Issue 199)

Robert,

When I tackle soemthing like this I tend to attach the log with a power planer to give it a flat(ish) surface, then just cut freehand on the bandsaw.

Cheers,

Dod

Thanks ! I've got the one face reasonably flat. I think the sledge is the best way to go.

Just need to get the parts to make it now.

Robert.

I've wondered about making a sled like that one, but have generally done like WD and planed one surface before cutting by eye. I guess the sled would be more versatile, but it does depend on having a blade that cuts parallel to the mitre slot. And perhaps more importantly, continues to cut parallel after it has found that embedded stone/nail/bullet in the billet :(

At least when cutting by eye, you can allow for wander.

Hello Robert.
I made this sled very quickly last Xmas when i too had to cut some Yew down to make a pen and pencil case.
This will only work though if you have a mitre gauge slot.
I just cut a piece of 1/2" ply for the base,a piece of Oak to fit in the mitre gauge slot,and 2 pieces of Pine to make the fence.
I then drilled 2 holes in the Pine sub base to fix to the 1/2" ply,which was moved to give me the thicknesses required,and a series of holes at different heights and widths on the fence,to fix the log to by using 2 screws.The length of screw will depend on how close the log will fit to the fence.
I suppose it could be made better and more accurate but it done what i wanted it to at the time.The piece of log on the sled is all that was left after cutting it down.
HTH.

Thanks for the comments. All interesting.

I have a slot on the table and the saw does cut parallel to it, so that's OK.

Not too sure about the buried objects - maybe I should run a metal detector over it, but that won't find stones or lead.

I'm going to build Brady's sledge - I think it will be long lasting and give quite fine adjustment. Apart from the yew, I've got several other pieces stashed away - all well seasoned now too. So it will be used for small stuff.

Latest posts

Back