• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

holding / comfort crosses made from church timber.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
just thought i would show what the holding comfort crosses are made from , the wood is pitch pine that a organist from st marks church asked me if i would like to have some of it as they were renovating the inside of the church, (he just came up to me at cliff college where i was standing with my stall)the boards are the back rests from the pews.

the timber cuts well on the hegner i use a no 7 reverse tooth blade.

At least the wood is still living on and it makes a nice selling point when people purchase them.

they are quite popular i must have sold at least 60 in past few months
IMG_0008 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1377 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1376 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Seeing the pitch pine brought back lovely memories. I was given a pile of old church pews that were over 100 years old and made of pitch pine. I had an industrial unit at the time and when the postman called he would come in just so he could smell the pitch pine and have a cup of tea. I spent weeks working on it making all sorts of things.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that these are lovely pieces to make and after a bit of practice might be an ideal project to start with ,.What would the measurements be can I ask and hope for an answer . :lol: :lol:

hawkinob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Eugene,
If you are referring to ones I made - based on the first post by mac1012 - they are approx. 2¾ ins (72mm) across x 4¼ ins (108mm) high x ½ ins (13mm). Should you like the shape just right click and "save as" and then adjust the size to suit. I made a template out of 3mm mdf (pasting the picture onto the mdf) and used the template to get the shape. I used a number 5 blade, modified geometry.
You have probably been inundated with suggestions about learning to scrollsaw but I'll add another:-
http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/24198
Good luck.
Bob H.
p.s. I'd not known of comfort crosses before this series of postings but thought that a dear old lady down the road from me - she is Italian married to an English soldier in WW2 - might like one. She did.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob ,looks a lovely project and will be welcomed by the Boss (Clair) she likes things like that .I think I might try a smaller size when I get going . Have not heard when delivery is of my saw will throw a few
*?%@@ at them today and see what happens. :evil: :evil:

hawkinob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Eugene,
I should have sent a better picture, the one that I use as a pattern. Hopefully it comes across properly!
This size fits nicely in the hand but mac1012 might have a better size, he started the thread.
Bob H.

Attachments

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi sorry for delay in replying as been in workshop each night after work as i got three craft fairs coming up before christmas and first one in a weeks time.

my crossess are 115 x 65 i think i got the template of a site somewhere there is plenty of different styles on the net.

ive sold about 50 this year so i am happy that people like the shape and as you can see they fit nicely in the hand.

but have a look aroung and experiment a bit as simple shape to do i find if you sell things its important how you present your work to customers as it is the stuff you make.

mark

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark and Bob for your replys ,you will see that I have posted pictures of a Scroll saw that was given to me by a friend .I an going into town today to see if I can locate some blades to try it out .It is working perfectly vith no vibration or noise and it's still covered in rust and other stuff . I am still getting the Hegner 14" V/S with all the bells and whistles 8) but I am going to clean up this one and have it as my second machine . It doesn't seem right that I am going to have two when you guy out there who no what you are about had to work very hard to get you wanted. be it one or two .
I must say that the help and advise I got on here was fantastic and I will be asking a lot more questions as I still have not used a Scroll saw as yet.
Is it possible to change the pin blades to pin less ones do you think .

hawkinob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Eugene,
There are clamp adapters but it depends on the type of clamp that you start with. Can you post a picture of the clamp on the machine now? (Not sure which thread you can put it on, the one with the other pictures I guess).
Bob H.