Holdfasts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This answers the question I was about to post - My benchtop is 7 5/8" thick and I wondered if a holdfast could work properly in it.

Could you put me down for a pair too please? (already mentioned in other post). I'm in ireland so maybe if Aidan is anywhere near me (Kildare) we can save on postage. Doesn't really matter either way.

Chris Knight":1tcds2b1 said:
Re the question on the thickness of bench top in which they operate - my bench has a 4 1/2 thick top and I use Gramercy holdfasts in 3/4 inch holes. They would not hold in my top without some mods. I first tried what I had seen advised elsewhere which was to use coarse sandpaper to roughen the holdfasts (using the sandpaper in such a way as too create annular scratches). This worked OK but the same piece of advice went on to say that after a while it was necessary to roughen them again and again.. so the author of the suggestion said he wished he had counterbored his holes. I have done that and counterbored my holes to 1 inch diameter from the underside of the bench top to a depth of 1 1/2 inches thus leaving 3 inches for the holdfasts to work in - which they do, perfectly and without the need for roughening them.

My bench has a 3 1/2" thick top with a 9" deep x 3" thick front apron. Grammercy holdfasts work well in the 3 1/2" benchtop and in the apron face but not in the 9" deep part.

Richard

I have already asked for two. Although I am in France I can have them sent to a UK (Sussex) address if before the end of the month.To save you looking up postage to France. :D

Ok John, I should have knocked up a few by then.

Just made a pair before I put the forge to bed to make sure I hadn't lost the knack.

Actually Richard, I'm in the UK this weekend so I have an address there you could pop them to if you have time to get mine done this week!

Richard T":1uyqiu1p said:
Ok Trizza, I'll do my best. PM me the address and I'll try to remember how to do paypal stuff ..

Thanks! Don't worry too much if you don't find the time, though.

Just curious Richard, how are you going to "take orders", so to speak? I wouldn't want to miss out!

Dave, when I have made a decent amount I'll ask people to pm me their addresses and will give them my paypal details. Then juggle betwixt forge and post office.
You won't miss out - even if I run out of stock (which is looking likely) I'll do the orders I have in order, then get some more steel.

I've just been to consult the post office 1 pair at 1.982kg - UK standard parcel (the cheapest) £4.41 - Europe in general £11.96

I haven't bought the envelopes yet so I will let you all know over all p&p when I have.

I just got home from the UK and had a chance to tear open the package Richard - they look great! Its a bit late tonight to go and start whacking on them but I'll test them out ASAP.

Thanks! :)

Even though it's probably the worst time this year to say this, the holdfasts are ready.

If all interested pm me your delivery addresses, I will send back paypal details. And, hopefully, somewhere in between bank holidays and weddings, .... etc.

The grand total + P&P for a pair posted within the UK is £23.16

I don't think paypal charges for this amount so haven't had to add anything there, although I think two pairs went over the limit and they charged .... we'll see.

Looks like pay "pal" is taking 99p off each transaction :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you've already sent money via paypal .... my loss. For orders from now, please send £24.15 to my address as above. Sorry to drop this on everyone but a quid off each is quite a lump.. Just when I thought I had it all worked out 'n all ...

If you would prefer to pay by cheque, (£23.16) let me know, and I'll give you my address details.

I have been asked by a couple of people about direct bank transfers. If you would like to pay this way, (£23.16) again, let me know and I can give you the bank details.

Hi Richard I would love a pair so if there are any left can you please let me have your details for payment either Paypal or cheque which ever is best for you
Hope your not missing out on the chocolate eggs
Best regards and enjoy your holiday
Peter

Back