Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I add my name to the list of people who would like a pair of holdfasts should more become available please.

Hope i'm not too late for the party, I would love to get hold of two of these things if there is another batch up for grabs.
Great work on finding a tame blacksmith and for developing these. Why can't we buy decent stuff like this in the uk?
It seems most of the good stuff comes from the us.

2 things - Dickster, I totally share your views. There seems to be a small undercurrent of newer tool-makers emerging... time will tell. Second thing - Richard: your holdfasts are still the very best bench accessory I own, and will remain so I am sure. Truly brilliant. Many thanks indeed for going to so much trouble to tune them to perfection.

Thanks Douglas - that's high praise indeed considering you have built the world's most pampered bench :)
Tuning them has been a growing obsession from the start. I recently stepped a long bit of pine into 2 - 1/2", 3" and 3 - 1/2" and drilled holes in those depths to see if there was a better average angle - ended up settling on the same angle. It might be a bit fierce with a freshly bored hole with nice, crisp edges but as they get compressed, it mellows out to the optimum grip. Any less ends up too shallow.

Of the recent above requests I have sorted Luke out but the other three all have only one post to their names so pms aren't possible. Although we've been over this before, and my disguised email address is somewhere back in the depths of this thread, I would much rather stay within the spirit of the Group Buy that this is supposed to be. So please join in with the rest of the forum folks (It's hugely worth it) and pm me. :wink:

Richard T":2dqjzlp8 said:

Of the recent above requests I have sorted Luke out but the other three all have only one post to their names so pms aren't possible. Although we've been over this before, and my disguised email address is somewhere back in the depths of this thread, I would much rather stay within the spirit of the Group Buy that this is supposed to be. So please join in with the rest of the forum folks (It's hugely worth it) and pm me. :wink:

Hi Richard

Have just joined this forum and have never taken part in any before! How do you pm someone and a) is it legal, b) is it decent.

There seems to be a massive amount of knowledge around in this forum and I must say I feel a bit humbled but shall try to contribute where I can. It restores my faith in humanity that these things thrive in this money grabbing me me me age.
=D>

Hi Dickster,

I'm no expert but I think a mere three posts entitles one to pm (and emoticon I think? (hammer) ) so one more should do you.
I know it might seem a bit daunting joining in with all these old hands but there's always new stuff to learn for all of us. Just jump right in and wallow in the sawdust. :)

Thanks for that Richard.

This being my third post presumably the emoticons should be magically here
(homer) :ho2 :deer =D> #-o (hammer) :mrgreen:

It's good to know that I can now pm about the holdfasts, but I still don't know what pm'ing is!

Could you enlighten me please.
ta

As I said, anything between 2 - 1/2" and 3 - 1/2" (though 2 - 1/4" is ok) Any less and the hole will wear quite quickly, any more and there starts to be not enough grip, though I seem to remember reports that people are using them in 4" holes ok. But it has been surprising to note that the difference between using them in the above depths is so little.

If it helps I found 65mm worked really well. On a new bench-top (90mm) they didn't grip at all well (but may have improved over time) - I just counterbored from under (a 1" forstner) so the holdfast was working in around 65mm... but it isn't that critical I think. Richard is the expert... go with the above!

At risk of stating the obvious... but Richard and Doug are talking about the depth of the holes (= thickness of bench top). If you were asking about the diameter - it's 3/4" = 19mm!

My bench top is made of 3 sheets of **18mm MDF** and they work just fine.

DSCN7221.jpg

I did countersink the top side of the hole which I hoep will prvent wear and tear

All I need now are 39 removable plugs, 1 for each dog hole, to stop various detritus, screws, drills etc falling into the void under the bench. I'd welcome suggestions.

cheers

Andy

edit ** actually it is made from 3 sheets of 18mm MDF on top of 25 mm of veneered chipboard - my memory is not what it used to me!

AndyT":2l7r28cv said:
At risk of stating the obvious... but Richard and Doug are talking about the depth of the holes (= thickness of bench top). If you were asking about the diameter - it's 3/4" = 19mm!

Thanks Andy, it was the diameter I was after.

Richard - they arrived today, hope to try out this weekend.

Ric

sorry Ric, I went straight to the more complex issue by mistake. The 3/4 hole is a 'standard' God-send, as there are so many bench clamping accessories available that fit that. If you look above at Andy deedee's bench, I see 2 Veritas dogs and 2 Veritas magicky-sideclamp things... everything goes into your 3/4 hole. Also I think Axminster still do aluminium dogs at a cost-fraction of the Veritas brass version. Basically 3/4 is king.
My wife disagrees.

Hi Richard,

could I please put my name down for a pair of your holdfasts. I've sent you a PM. Thanks

Chris

I'm pleased to see this fine thread still alive. For many years it was virtually impossible to find traditional forge-made holdfasts at all. Richard's are not only made the right way (in a forge) but they are also the bargain of the century. having seen Auriou launch theirs recently at £70 EACH, I do believe everyone here should own at least one pair of Richard's. I have had mine about a year now and they just WORK.

Back