Holdfast for £49

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fromey":24435nlb said:
Unfortunately I don't have the where-with-all to bend the foot down by a couple of degrees so that it will make full contact.

On page 2 of this thread, Richard gave details (with pictures) of how to easily alter the angle of the foot of the holdfast to make it grip better workbench-holdfasts-t76196.html

Hope this helps.

Paul

I'm with Grayorm on this; his doohickey is quickly adjustable, doesn't need a hammer and is cheap to make, once you've got your compressor (£4 on WheeBay for me). My Grandfather was a full-on blacksmith with a working smithy, so I'm no stranger to forged iron in general and holdfasts in particular, but I just find Graeme's idea faster, simpler and easier. Grandad used similar ones to the two Richards ones when he had to 'jig' summat unusual and his tree stump mount for his swaging block also accomodated his 'holding irons'.

Mind you, my bench top is over three inches thick, maybe holdfasts are better in some of the thinner (commercially made) 'benches'?

Sam

I had the choice between two Gramercy holdfasts delivered to the UK for £40 or the Workshop heaven set.

Given one pair was made in the UK by a Blacksmith in Oxfordshire the other by a company in the states it was a no brainier really.

Got a text and an email from the ever helpful Matt at WSH this morning and I'm expecting delivery tomorrow. Too bad SWIMBO won't be letting me touch them until Christmas.

I use Richard T's holdfasts in my 4" top no problems at all. They must have 19mm/3/4 holes though, which is a very widely used standard (Veritas devices etc etc).
Re price Richard used to sell his here to us lot for £19 a pair. The 49 (WSH, Richard's were 45 through RM) comes to 41 ex vat. There is a shipping cost to the retailer, and retail margin. Just as with everything else we buy, the raw material cost is pretty much meaningless.
I do know Richard spent ages testing and developing the profile and foot pattern - they are nowhere near as simple as they appear to be.

RogerP":1k3f8i0a said:
I still don't see how 2 pieces of 20mm round bar with a flattened ends and one bend can almost 50 quid.

20mm Mild Steel Round Bar is about £25 retail for 2 meters delivered (enough for 4?), much less in quantity.

Agreed.

Nobody, I was just trying to point out how cheap and easy they are to make yourself.

A big hammer, a gas torch and 20 minutes :)

Go on then prove it to us?
From Richard's efforts to get them just right I think you won't be so smug?

Rod

Harbo":36lu26l9 said:
Go on then prove it to us?
From Richard's efforts to get them just right I think you won't be so smug?

Rod
For goodness sake there's really no need to be so rude.

I'm not being smug and I've no intention of making any as I don't need any but if I did I would.

Wouldn't think any normal gas torch would get close to getting enough heat into 20mm bar to make it workable ?

I tried with 10mm bar for a different application and got nowhere with it, but was able to bend it cold and with a big hammer, unlikely on the 20mm stuff !

Cheers, Paul

With all the options available these days does anybody use these on a daily basis and if so what are the advantages over the modern more controllable options?

Hi Powertools - I use these in preference to any alternative, but I really don't mind what everyone else uses or prefers - room for every opinion and preference. My reasons would be:
- very fast to lock up and release (there is nothing quicker I have found)
- rock solid
- great access, the skinny cross-section gets them into places others can't so easily reach (inside of part-assembled carcase for example)
- lifetime tool with no maintenance

Ages ago the very fine Richard T gave me an evolution of his to test, I did this:

hf2.jpg

From memory that's about 1.2m ash board, and about 5Kg grinder at the end. 2 good taps with my 2.5lb brass hammer.

They are also good for this kind of thing:

hf1.jpg

I did this pic ages ago as a testament to flush fronts on benches, but again the holdfast is very fast and supports one end for you, handy when working alone with big boards.

I have a fine Veritas clamp-down (screw to lock) but amost never use it - it's slow and only moderate as a clamper.

I know aternatives have their fans and the Sjoberg looks good value, but given all the clamping choices available this is mine, and it's the right one for me.

(missing Richard - he was never one to make the simple seem difficult, quite the reverse. And he reckoned these were tricky to get right.)

p.s. Power: re controllable. I feel they are very - I don't tend to whack mine once, preferring a few sharp taps which is kinder to the bench and workpiece (scrap under of course). So clamp pressure is quite finely adjustable but still really quick to achieve.

Attachments

• hf2.jpg
    hf2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 959
  • hf1.jpg
    hf1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 959
condeesteso many thanks for the detailed reply I was under the impression that you had to hit them hard for them to work thus giving little control but it is interesting to note from your reply that you don't.
I also like your bench.

James Thanks for the link to the video.

In terms of using them every day, I do in almost everything I make. From holding down wood to saw and to mortice, to using one to hold my hand grinder or when I use my benchtop router table. I was lucky enough to get two of Richard's direct from him for about £23 I think. Having used them for a while, I would happily pay the £45 from TEWW if that were still an option and, after Xmas, I will probably buy a pair from Matthew. I got a blacksmith to copy one of Richard's whilst having a lesson and he did it and it looked the same, but in action, it is nowhere near as good. As others have said, it took Richard ages to perfect them and they are far and away the easiest, quickest clamping device money could buy (but sadly, no longer can). That's not to say there are not other ways of clamping and I've tried a few on my own and on friends' benches, but the holdfast is in and out of my bench (54mm MDF top) constantly with one tap either way...it's hard to see how anything with a thread could be faster, for me at least.

I don't use them myself as I don't have a suitable bench but I expect they are quick any easy to use and obviously nothing to go wrong unless you let them go rusty! I'm intrigued though which shape works well and which doesn't. Anyone got any pics? Is the difference in shape really so slight?

woodpig":1502sl52 said:
I don't use them myself as I don't have a suitable bench but I expect they are quick any easy to use and obviously nothing to go wrong unless you let them go rusty! I'm intrigued though which shape works well and which doesn't. Anyone got any pics? Is the difference in shape really so slight?

Paul Chapman has already pointed to the answer but here it is again:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post832166.html#p832166

too much gap

DSCN1445s_zps75e0573d.jpg

better

DSCN1451s_zpscaf0551a.jpg

and the same thing knocked down tight

DSCN1453s_zps442f7318.jpg

I too bought a couple off Richard T, and like everyone else who uses them I couldn't be without them. Easily the most used tool in my workshop, after the hammer that secures them (hammer)

If the ones in Workshop Heaven were half as good I'd pay £49 for them without a second thought.

Latest posts

Back