Hobby to business...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal_Gazza

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All...

I'm guessing most of us on this forum are hobbyists, has anyone recently made the jump from hobbyist to making a living from their hobby?

I'd be interested to hear your experiences/stories...

Cheers.

Hi. I have been a woodwork enthusiast and it would have been my chosen career, but because of a badly timed change of school and poor parental advice I found myself drifting into a more academic education and then 31 years as a civil servant.

I hated my job with a passion but it paid the mortgage and gave our two children a good start. All the time I played at woodwork dreaming of becoming a woodworker. I finally escaped the civil service when we moved lock stock and barrel to France. I had several jobs in France but after three and a half years working as an odd job man at a local chateau Iwas made redundant.

Unable to find work in my fifties and with the support of my civil service pension which I took early we started a small business three years ago making and selling bird houses, feeders, insect boxes along with other small things for the garden as well as a small range of things aimed at the Christmas market. The things I make are simpler but well made out of local wood.

When I look back, our initial attempts at selling at craft markets was a bit sad. But it has been a great experience our range of products has increased hugely our presentation at markets has improved dramatically. At the same time my woodwork skills have also improved. We now get invited to exhibit at fairs.

If I had my time again I would have tried to break into a woodworking career while I had the support of a regular wage. I think with a bit more effort on my part I could have combined the two. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think that by starting out making and selling simple things and learning and improving on the way is a possibility.

Mike

Back