'Hobbies' plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, 'Hobbies' was the only game in town, and dads used their plans to make wooden toys. I'd like to do the same, especially as GC#2 on the way. Old fashioned cars, biplanes, little trucks, that sort of thing.
Has anyone used their plans recently? Are they any good, or should I go for Mr Blizzard's offerings?
Or are there better choices?

Smudger what are you after from hobbies i have loads of their plans and about 200 of the mags plus blizzards books or plans or even other toy making plans & books as this is my favourite area

Cheers, Major.
I have been looking at and getting some Brio toys for the grand-daughter (she loves them), and it occurred to me that I could make some, especially the truck and biplane type things. I remember them from my childhood!
I know Hobbies used to do plans for them, and looking at their website they still produce some. I really wanted to know if they are any good, especially as this will be a new thing for me to try.

How easy are they, do they look the business and do they stand up to play?

I'm looking at something like this or this or this.

smudger out of those items I have only made the plane it was one of the first items i made 20years ago I remember it was loved & well played with the weakest point as far as i can remember was the struts to hold the wings together i have the plan if you require a copy?

I also a a plan somewhere on making brio track not hobbies & never had the chance to make it myself.If there are any other plans that interest you give me a shout as i have loads.

Cheers, Major, that's very good to know - I sent off for the plans last night! Judging by how Hobbies delivered some sheet tin to my son, they should be here tomorrow.

I also ordered the pull-along duck train and the model T Ford... I'm looking forward to them. It means that I will have to get to grips with my wife's scroll saws at long last, but at least I have a ready supply of child-safe paints etc. in the house.

Can you remember what material you used for the plane? I think Hobbies use 6mm ply, which I'm a bit down on, but I suspect that quarter-inch solid timber will warp to blazes over time.

did you buy the fittings pack too? I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with these. Looks exactly what I'll be having a go at as soon as I'm set up in the new place.

Keep us posted ;)

Yes, though I'm not 100% sure what you get - I don't know if pins etc are included. I'll post some pics and descriptions when they arrive.

It does say on the site. This is cut and pasted from the model t car.

Fittings contain:- five wooden wheels, brass screws and cup washers, two H4 turnings and dowels, 25mm(1") wood wheel for the steering wheel.

The wood pack seems expensive though - Wood Pack contains:- pine panels (9mm & 12mm), mahogany panels (3mm & 5mm). I assume it's cut to shape already. That takes the fun out of it! :shock: :)

Smudger":sx0rmbqh said:
Can you remember what material you used for the plane? I think Hobbies use 6mm ply, which I'm a bit down on, but I suspect that quarter-inch solid timber will warp to blazes over time.
I used 6mm ply I followed the plan as this was my first adventure i seem to remember i wished i had used something thicker.

The package from Hobbies arrived this morning - good service.
3 sets of plans included:

The Pull-Along Duck Train

DSC_0020-1.jpg

Very simple, easy to make out of offcuts, it says, and I believe, although ply might be good, as it is painted. I scanned the plan and printed the parts onto card and laminated them as templates (I have been told that I am making a number of these to go on my wife's craft stall). What I didn't realise at the time was that the scanner had reduced one of the ducks. Doh! A couple of minutes at Mrs S's Hegner and I had a duck. Needs a sand and it's the wrong size, but it's a duck.
With the plan I bought four large and six small wheels, these are not included. I will also need some small cuphooks and eyelets. Difficulty level - about 1 if you have a scroll saw. Wouldn't happen on even a small bandsaw.

The next is the aeroplane:
DSC_0022-1.jpg

With this one I ordered the fittings pack, which comes down to a chunk of pine to carve as a propellor, wheels and a big wheel to represent a rotary engine, and some dowel.
This one is made of 6mm ply, looks fairly simple, should be OK on the bandsaw. To make the lower section of the fuselage, which is curved, you need to make relief cuts, which I've never done before. Much more complicated, but will look good. What I hadn't fully realised was how large it is - 20" wingspan. A smaller one might be nice as a hand toy. I'm not sure how I'll make templates for this, as I can only go up to A4. I may have to redraw the wings!

The most complicated is the Model T
DSC_0024.jpg

The fittings pack includes wheels, screws, screw cups, various small turnings. It looks pretty much complete. The plan calls for ⅜" and ½" pine, and some small pieces of mahogany for number plates. The cutting will be less straightforward, including some cutouts. Nothing too difficult, although the plane and the car will both need accuracy.

I think it all looks like fun - and that my immediate future includes ducks!

Smudger":2h86jp2f said:
What I hadn't fully realised was how large it is - 20" wingspan. A smaller one might be nice as a hand toy.
I do have other versions of this plan aswell as this one can check to see if any are smaller i know one of the plans has a clicking wheel so it clicks all the time it is pushed around

That would be cool.
The programme has come to a bit of a halt after my grand-daughter discovered the stash of wheels...

I can start again after I've moved the furniture and got them out. And found my camera memory card.

At least she didn't turn the TV to radio only, which she managed to do at home. Took a day to sort that out. Here she just found a Sky screen I didn't know existed. Perhaps I should get her a makrokopter...

Latest posts

Back