Hitch Hikers Guide to The Galaxy - Live

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to see the HHGG Radio Show Live last night. Featuring pretty much all the original radio series cast. 3 hours of pure joy. Highly recommend it if you are a fan. Last night's guest "book" was John Culshaw, and very good he was too... Better than some of the other guests they have coming up, I feel.

For more details, go here :

http://www.hitchhikerslive.com/

Si.

Drat,drat and double drat! The curtain is going up in Nottingham as I type. I would LOVE to see that. I have the box set of the original radio series.
Here am I, brain the size of a planet and you want me to park the car. I have a pain all down my left diodes.
Wonderful stuff.
S

Looks interesting and glad you enjoyed it, but
Cambridge Corn Exchange":12ambh4m said:
Tickets £27, £24.50 £22
Senior citizens, U16 & students £2off.
All tickets subject to a £2 credit/debit card fee per ticket.
Bloomin' 'Eck, at those prices and rip-off card fees I won't be going. :shock:

The next 10 million years were even worse.....

cambournepete":1u6xafq2 said:
"...and then I went into a bit of a decline..."

I borrowed the complete boxed set from the local library and somehow it metamorphed into a set for me and I returned the original set to the library. Still got it and listen time after time..

Radio --- best! Books --- second best. TV series --- utter c r a p :shock:

"Glad to be of service!!!"

Fan of the books, was one of the rare series I didnt want to end. Didnt like Adams Holistic Detective books upon first read, went back to them years later and enjoyed them. Shame he died young.

Some of his ideas were unbelievable - infinite improbability drive, restaurant at the EOTU, wars of cricket etc etc - unbelievable and just seen it will be in Oxford on 1 July
Thanks so much for the heads-up
pan galactic gargle blasters all round i think
Mark

Where is Allen when you need him?

Douglas Adams was an early Mac user, he got his about two weeks after I got mine in 1985 apparently. If that doesn't show his class what does!! :D \:D/ All his later books were written on the Mac, not sure about the early ones. Lets face it, if they had been done on a PC they wouldn't have been half the fun (Oh gawd not this subject again!!)

I saw the TV show first, then read the books and finally came to the radio shows. I reckon they all had their qualities and all were great.

Marvin is my all time favourite fictional character. He is SOOOO human.

Can't possibly agree with the TV bit mate. You, or at least I, have a huge advantage over the 'haunted fish tank'. It's yer imagination and there is no bigger screen than that 8) 8) Plus, the TV series didn't show the half of what was in the radio series. How do you actually show a genuine Vogan? The one your mind sees Can't be done, or couldn't then..

His Mac?? Was that the reason that most of the radio scripts were actually incomplete at the beginning of each episode I wonder :twisted: :twisted: A lot of the endings were delivered and the first the cast saw of them was when they were handed to them part way through the show :shock: :shock: Mind you, that's possibly they came over so well by just flying by the seat of yer pants?

Jonzjob":1uyje06h said:
Can't possibly agree with the TV bit mate. You, or at least I, have a huge advantage over the 'haunted fish tank'. It's yer imagination and there is no bigger screen than that 8) 8) Plus, the TV series didn't show the half of what was in the radio series. How do you actually show a genuine Vogan? The one your mind sees Can't be done, or couldn't then..

His Mac?? Was that the reason that most of the radio scripts were actually incomplete at the beginning of each episode I wonder :twisted: :twisted: A lot of the endings were delivered and the first the cast saw of them was when they were handed to them part way through the show :shock: :shock: Mind you, that's possibly they came over so well by just flying by the seat of yer pants?

That was the time that I actually watched the goddam noisy box (from 'Stranger in a strange land' by Robert Heinlein for those that don't know!!). Haven't had one since. I agree that its better to make your own images. However, having seen it first, the books and radio just filled in the missing bits. I still enjoyed it immensely. I can imagine that doing it the other way round would have the usual effect. Seeing the Dune films after knowing the books so well just made me laugh at some of the images they presented. But twas ever thus. LOTR is the same, good stuff but nowhere near what my imagination provides.

Some are better. I thought Blade Runner ended up better than the book. I have just re-read it and the atmosphere created in the film is perfect and somehow the story connected to my view of the future. The book is still brilliant though. We all have our own interior world that no-one else can really share.

Film makers have to brave it if they risk doing a well known book and will always get it wrong for many.

LOTRings has to be my favourite book. I have read it 4 or 5 times now and just don't get fed up with it. We also have the 13 cassette boxed audio set as well as the films, but the book is by far the best! I don't know how many times I've read the Hobbit too. We also have the book in unabridged audio read by Martin Shaw, he of 'The Professionals' and he has got to be one of their greatest fans by the way he reads it!

I can't comment on either Dune or Blade Runner. Not seen either in any form.

Meanwhile.... Life? Do'n't talk to me about life! :(

Jonzjob":139x0g40 said:
LOTRings has to be my favourite book. I have read it 4 or 5 times now and just don't get fed up with it. We also have the 13 cassette boxed audio set as well as the films, but the book is by far the best! I don't know how many times I've read the Hobbit too. We also have the book in unabridged audio read by Martin Shaw, he of 'The Professionals' and he has got to be one of their greatest fans by the way he reads it!

I can't comment on either Dune or Blade Runner. Not seen either in any form.

Meanwhile.... Life? Do'n't talk to me about life! :(

I have the India Paper edition. My parents gave it to me for my 21st birthday. The whole three books are in one volume about 1" thick. Read to death, probably once every year.

However, it ain't sci-fi of course, it would be under 'fantasy' in the library..
An essential reading list!!! (in his best school teacher mode)

Dune series - Frank Herbert
Dragon series - Anne McCaffrey
Foundation series - Isaac Asimov
Galactic Milieu series - Julian May
Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep - Philip Dick (Blade runner)
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein.
Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

and a million others but not including the like of Pratchet. I can't read his stuff, it is so un-amusing and obvious in its humour that I find it trivial and annoying. I hate 'knowing' humour.

The above list would be those I take to the desert island but it would mean leaving about 3000 of my sci-fi books behind!!!

cambournepete":2vjyahcm said:
I'd add Arthur C Clarke to that list.
In particular 2001 is one (admittedly rare) example where the film is vastly superior to the original story (The Sentinel). I still think it's the best film ever. :)

I have all of Arthur Clarke's books and I agree that any list should really include Clarke but mine was a very basic list. I find 2001 very hard going these days and actually prefer the book which was written after the film was made. It made more sense of the huge screen of course whereas I have to watch it on the computer. The film seems very long winded and the acting very wooden. Having said that, it was the first proper science fiction film in the modern era and rates amongst the best. I enjoyed it immensely when I first saw it but I was a mere slip of a lad back then. I couldn't even imagine the year 2001 as I would be an old old man . The sentinel was a short story of course and was expanded hugely to make a film length story.

gus3049":1ho24per said:
I have the India Paper edition. My parents gave it to me for my 21st birthday. The whole three books are in one volume about 1" thick. Read to death, probably once every year.

I have that edition too. It's like bible paper. I remember loving the fold out maps when I was a lad.

I'm currently reading LOTR as a bedtime story for my younger son (as I did for my older son). I'm doing gollum with a brummie accent (mixed with Fagin from Oliver) and it works quite well. My west country accent for Sam on the other hand...

Frodo, sam and Gollum are just on their way to Minas Morgul...

Back