Hitch Hikers Guide to The Galaxy - Live

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOTR needs a total suspense of any real connection to this world although its a very human tale of hardship and winning through in the end - pretty standard stuff really, but then what successful stories aren't when it comes down to it.

I find a lot of practical people (no insult intended, I am one myself, although I prefer to be known as an 'artiste' of course) tend to be unable to make the leap into another world and get totally involved. The problem is that LOTR can be sort of linked to dragons and dungeons and other fantasy rubbish whereas its just a cracking good story dressed up in fantasy clothes.

A lot of sci-fi is like that, it is basically escapist literature. Maybe you don't wish to escape?? :D Its probably best to come to it young.

As a rule, I do tend to find that I can tell the way a book is going to go by the first few pages. I have rejected something like 80% of the stories in a collection of 50,000 books that seem to have crept onto my Mac somehow. First page and dump, many of them.

As ever, its one man's meat.

thick_mike":hc2hobgd said:
gus3049":hc2hobgd said:
I have the India Paper edition. My parents gave it to me for my 21st birthday. The whole three books are in one volume about 1" thick. Read to death, probably once every year.

I have that edition too. It's like bible paper. I remember loving the fold out maps when I was a lad.

I'm currently reading LOTR as a bedtime story for my younger son (as I did for my older son). I'm doing gollum with a brummie accent (mixed with Fagin from Oliver) and it works quite well. My west country accent for Sam on the other hand...

Frodo, sam and Gollum are just on their way to Minas Morgul...

Can you post some sound files?? Sounds fascinating :lol: I would love to hear a Brummie Gollum.

Jonzjob":2p6eykyp said:
A cracking read is Stephen Hawkins A Brief History of Time. I read it cover to cover and throughly enjoyed it.

LOTR is King Arthur, Robin Hood, Star Wars, The Mag 7 (or 9 really?) and several others all wrapped up together 8) 8)

I trust you are not suggesting that A brief history of time is science fiction!!!

It was extremely interesting. I wouldn't try to pretend that I understood it all but he did make it seem as if it was possible for us mere mortals to get the gist. I'm glad he has since retracted the 'mind of god' bit as certain people latched onto that to pretend it was support for their views which he certainly doesn't support.

gasman":2zvezopp said:
Some of his ideas were unbelievable - infinite improbability drive, restaurant at the EOTU, wars of cricket etc etc - unbelievable and just seen it will be in Oxford on 1 July
Thanks so much for the heads-up
pan galactic gargle blasters all round i think
Mark

Yes great stuff, things being invisible because of the SEP principal - this thread has me itching to get the hitchhikers books out.

Never got into LOTR, but strangely liked the Hobbit...

Blade runner was one of the first si-fi films that I saw that had me feeling like the enviroment they were living in was 'real'.

Jonzjob":1bfg020d said:
If I remember correctly he has retracted a lot more than that !!

Very interesting and a tad difficult to understand, I agree :mrgreen:

I heard a physicist explaining his idea that a black hole Event horizon could be thought of as a three dimensional projection of a four dimensional universe (just as a hologram is a two dimensional projection of three dimensional space). The interviewer was nodding along and the following exchange took place:

physicist: do you get it?
interviewer: yes, I think so.
Physicist: then you haven't understood what I said!

The physicist said that although it was his theory and he could do the maths, he didn't really understand what it meant.

Lots of physics is like that now, what we read in the "popular" books is a dumbed down interpretation of really hard maths that we could never understand.

"really hard maths that we could never understand."

Just start with the very easy stuff if you want to leave me behind! :shock: After going to 13 different schools, me old man was also in the R.A.F., I knew 13 different ways of not very much and I didn't like school to boot... But give me something you can fix with a 'ammer and I's yer boy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thick_mike":2v5xsce1 said:
I'm currently reading LOTR as a bedtime story for my younger son (as I did for my older son). I'm doing gollum with a brummie accent (mixed with Fagin from Oliver) and it works quite well. My west country accent for Sam on the other hand...

Frodo, sam and Gollum are just on their way to Minas Morgul...
My daughter hates Gollum with a passion, the stuff of nightmares! I remember at the time I got hold of a poster of the G-man (no...not Mr.Grimsdale...or maybe it was?) and blu-tacked it to the ceiling above her bed. The only problem was that she had a new bunk bed and she was on the top, so the poster was about 2' from her face when she was trying to get some shut eye :mrgreen:
Mean dad or what? :lol: :lol: - Rob

Just putting this back on topic for a second -yes, boring I know- I remember going to see the stage play of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park many many years ago, where they really were serving Pan-Galactic Gargleblasters during the interval!
Watching Zaphod running around with two heads and Marvin wandering around the stage...brilliant!

Definitely not a case of 'I've seen it, it's rubbish'!

Back