Hitachi M12V

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieran62

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the length of this post, but hopefully someone more electrically experienced can help me with this.
Just started using my workshop again, so my tools and machines have been lying idle for a few months.
My Hitachi is in my router table and I needed to rout a groove in some timber this week; the motor would run up to speed then slow, speed up again, slow etc.
Checked the brushes, they seemed a little worn so I changed them, still the same symptoms. :(
I checked on some of the router forums and after reading various comments decided to buy a new speed controller for the router, fitted that this morning but still get the same symptoms, but now I have lots of sparks coming from the rear brush.
Took the brushes out and was shocked at how worn they've become, particularly the rear one.

Is the router FUBB'd or can anyone think of an idea for what is actually wrong with it.

Here's hoping, and thanks in advance

Kieran

Attachments

• carbon.jpg
    carbon.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 110
  • stream.jpg
    stream.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 110
Hi,

I think the rotor has a short in one of the windings that would explain the wear on the brushes.
Its another expensive part.

I have one they are a good router, worth fixing IMHO

Pete

I have two of these routers and one of them gave the same symptoms, it was the speed controller and about £80 to replace.....needless to say I didn't. :roll: The other one is still working well in my table. Great router though. :wink:

Thanks for your help Pete and Mailee,

It is a great router, I've had it for about eleven years and it's powered its way through everything I've thrown at it till now.
Pete, I presume the part you're referring to is the armature, just priced it and it's looking like another £85 :shock:
Mailee, I'd bought a new speed controller and fitted it, so with a new armature looks like I'm throwing the thick end of £170 at this machine this week,
and that's all got to come out of my Domino XL fund :cry: .
Thanks for your help,
Kieran

Hi, Kieran

You could sell the new speed controller to recoupe some money if the old one is o/k.

Pete

Back