hinge suggestions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I've backed myself into a corner and need help.
Having promised a music box jewellery box to my 5 year old grandaughter, I have built the box but now cant get suitable hinges.
I need the lid to stop just past vertical because there is a mirror in there to reflect the ballerina.
I cant use a chain fixed to the side because there is a full sized pull out section.
I cant fit quadrant hinges because I am stupid and have not made the box sides wide enough to take the hinges.

Ideally, I need stop hinges as seen on flight cases, but I cant find any small enough for the box.
Getting desperate now, I have a february deadline.
Any ideas please?

Chris, did I mention I'm stupid?
The side walls are only 7mm thick. This is the problem with building one offs and not planning ahead.
I will have a closer look at those stop hinges though, thanks.

I can't quite picture what the setup is, but I wonder if you could use leather or ribbon for the straps - even if it is only to get it 'finished' for your February deadline, then rework it when you have suitable hinges.

could you fix something to the back of the box so that it cannot open past 90 degrees- a lip ot a stop block type of thing?

honestly, with 7mm sides, you will struggle to find anything that will fit.

some pics, or a sketch would help

The rear mounted hinges at Neat hinge might work but there is not much wood for the screws to bite into. Could you add a bit on the inside?

Chris

like I say, stupid is as stupid does.
Its an ordinary rectangular box, but I have made it with thin walls, mainly to cut down on weight as it is going back to the UK in my luggage (TWO granddaughters, therefore TWO boxes, and I must have all my thermal clothing in there as well!).
I would ordinarily just fit normal hinges to a box like this, but I did not remember that the lid has to stay almost upright. because of this, none of the usual tricks will work as the inner lift out tray stops me from attaching anything to the sides or back

I tried making my own brass stay hinges, but without model making equipment, they came out far to cumbersome for a little girls trinket box (more in keeping with a barn door really).
I shall have to bite the bullet and buy some stay hinges as suggested by Chris, even though with shipping costs that will come out to more than whole value of the box.

Lesson learnt though, wont be making another of these any time soon.

Brusso JB-101 hinges may be suitable, they have a built in stop at 95deg. The bottom leaf is about 12.1mm but you have to leave something like 5mm sticking out of the back of the box for the top to open and the stop mechanism to work properly. The top leaf is 7.7mm, so you might just be able to fit these. They’re not exactly cheap, but the one time I’ve used them I was seriously impressed with the quality. I think I got mine from Classic Hand Tools, or you could get them directly from Brusso as you need international delivery using either retailer. Just an option, although I’d personally go with the rear mounted Neat hinge that’s already been suggested.

We all do it! Except Custard!

always plan ahead.jpg

Attachments

• always plan ahead.jpg
    always plan ahead.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 117
Trying to fit a 5mm barrel hinge into a 7 mm wide piece of walnut is not the way forwards.
I have to admit I have no idea what a cigar box barbed hinge is. i shall google it for future reference.

Because I have no teachers and no idea, I make all my stuff up as I go along. I actually enjoy the problem solving aspect of it, almost as much as the finished article. But because I only work to please myself and keep my brain active, if I have to bin something because the problem is insurmountable, its no big deal.
The big deal this time is a 5 year old grandaughter who believes her grandad is bringing her a ballerina box. Some deadlines just cant be missed.
I've ordered those rear mounted stop hinges, just got to hope the postal system works.

Peter, I have the quadrant hinges, just dont have any wood to fit them to.

Those incra hinges look bigger than the box I made. Cant see going to that much effort.

What about any normal type leaf style hinge, just screwed on the back. Fix the hinge on back to front, so you'll have to recountersink the screw holes. Generally they usually go a tad further than 90 degrees the wrong way around.

Coley

Back