Hinge jigs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case you ever need to fit another hinge, assuming you still haven't mastered how to use a chisel, :roll: to save you some filing, you can get hinges with rounded corners

images

However my advise would be to get a few offcuts and practice using a chisel and mallet to cut some hinge rebates - it will be a useful skill to master and can be applied to other tasks as well, plus it will be a lot quicker than messing around with a router and jig just to do one door.

promhandicam":2v7n3f62 said:
.....plus it will be a lot quicker than messing around with a router and jig just to do one door.
Absolutely! It's handy to have two marking gauges - one for the width and one for the depth. The reason being that you fit them to the door first but then transfer measurements and the same gauge marks to the frame.You don't want to set and upset them half way.
I do use a router sometimes, just on the door, but no jig - to the marks just the same as per doing it with a chisel, helped by the router fence, cleaning the corners with chisel. Frame too difficult with a router.
Then there's the door prop as the other essential gadget to make things easier i.e. length of 2x4" with wedged cut out and wedge, to hold door vertical.

many thanks Jacob et al for these insights

on the
Then there's the door prop as the other essential gadget to make things easier i.e. length of 2x4" with wedged cut out and wedge, to hold door vertical.

Any chance of some dimensions here: my suit-case is 24" long: is the wedged cut in the middle or off centre.

Is one door prop enough?
Thanks.

I agree with the need to acquire the skill but with 3 grandchildren under 6 around the place as well as all the other stuff........

Carlow52":l38n6dgx said:
Any chance of some dimensions here: my suit-case is 24" long: is the wedged cut in the middle or off centre.

Is one door prop enough?
One will do. Two is better. Size not critical. Often knocked up on site from offcuts. Also really useful if you want to plane up a board-edge on site. You could nail it to a saw horse for extra height etc.
Found a couple of dusty snaps here.

doorwedge.jpg

doorwedge2.jpg

Gavin showed me this , many years ago. Cheers Gavin.

Many thanks indeed.

Looking fwd to 'chiselling out' that chunky piece without a jig :D

Re the pic of rounded hinges, thanks, I have a stock of 4" brass ones that I retrieved from a Celtic Tiger era renovation: 15 solid pine panel doors c/w hinges and handles in a skip: happy days.

I made a shangie lots of years ago. It ain't half embarrassing when the bloke pulling the handle end taps the wedge out on the pull stroke when it clouts the lumber.

xy

Latest posts

Back