Hinge jigs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LN
How many do you have to do? Most of us use an MDF board with a cutout, then use router and bush. It's quick, dead accurate and zero cost!

Several years ago we had a jig competition here and a number of us collaborated to create a completely adjustable one.
ywo9ry.jpg

ywo9r1.jpg

If you just want one for a particular size of hinge, this is better as it refences of the front rather than the back
ywo9te.jpg

Cheers
Steve

I don't suppose you are any relative to Niki are you Steve? :lol: That is a great idea, I have often thought about making one before but never got my brain cells around it all. Now you have got me thinking again. :D

Steve Maskery":2jis584p said:
LN
How many do you have to do? Most of us use an MDF board with a cutout, then use router and bush. It's quick, dead accurate and zero cost!

Cheers
Steve

I've got at least eleven to do possibly thirteen. I have made a jig in the past for new doors in a new frame similar to your basic jig design but this time all the doors are new in old frames so your jig would need calibrated over the old frame where the hinges were cut in for the old doors, then transfer the jig to the new door to cut the new hinge recess, so I would need to do that twice on every door.

So I thought a jig to do both hinges together would make it easier to set up on the frame to calibrate to the old hinge recesses then transfer the jig to the door. I hope you understand what I'm getting at, after reading it through I'm not sure it's clear enough. :lol:

Your Lordship. Couldn't you just make up several of the 'basic' hinge jigs, then screw these into position on a kind of story stick (a piece of batten would do), relative to the old hinge positions on the frame? If all the frames are different (and presumably the y are), then you could easily reconfigure your jig to suit each frame.

Wow - I made that about as clear as mud!

RILEY":27mnmele said:
Your Lordship. Couldn't you just make up several of the 'basic' hinge jigs, then screw these into position on a kind of story stick (a piece of batten would do), relative to the old hinge positions on the frame? If all the frames are different (and presumably the y are), then you could easily reconfigure your jig to suit each frame.

Wow - I made that about as clear as mud!

Yes, I've been giving that idea some serious thought. it does need two jigs fitted together which allow for adjustments in distance between them.

If you are doing enough doors AND they are standard doors of 6ft or more AND they are painted finish then the Trend jigs are an excellent investment. They can be used to cut both the door and the door lining recesses, but they won't do non-standard (short) doors and inings without a lot of messing about. They also leave holes in both the door and the lining, however planted stops will hide the latter. The Trend jigs are best used on new builds IMHO. They are much more robust than the cheaper laminate copies.

As you will be fitting the doors to the frames before hinging, once fit, wedge in place and transfer the recess positions from the frame to the door, then set up your jig on the door,not forgetting to allow clearance on the stops.

Dennis

That's the way I do it Dennis, a couple of thin wedges to kick into place and you're home and dry.
On my jig I've scribed a couple of lines, it[s clear plastic, all I have to do is align those marks with the marks transferred from the frame and I know then that the router will cut the hinge rebate in the correct location.
Takes longer to explain than execute!

Roy.

Digit":3va3ocqp said:
That's the way I do it Dennis, a couple of thin wedges to kick into place and you're home and dry.
On my jig I've scribed a couple of lines, it[s clear plastic, all I have to do is align those marks with the marks transferred from the frame and I know then that the router will cut the hinge rebate in the correct location.
Takes longer to explain than execute!

Roy.

Hmmm! I think I might try it this way, swmbo starting to get sarcastic as to how long she's been waiting and is now asking when I'm going to get started. :lol:

Apart from making a jig with ply to run the router around using a brush guide. Most of the time if there's not many hinges to do I find myself marking out the hinge, Marking gaging the straight line and just chiseling the two end lines, then just router away into that freehand. :roll: :wink:

I know I have been down this road before, but, for door haning, make a jig for the butts out of 12mm M.D.F. , one for the lock and one for the latch.
All of these jigs will be made exact size, which makes it easier, then buy yourself a short bit with with a top bearing, usually sold as mortiseing or levelling bits, must be short, about 12mm. and use that with your jig, so simple. Buy a corner chisel at the same time.
Derek.

I have a Makita 3700B trimmer router for which I want to make a simple jig for fitting some hinges.

Its a one off, replacing an existing door and frame and I have to fly with all my tools so weight is a issue, hence the small router and the need for a small jig.

The base of the router is 90 mm by 80 mm so was hoping to use it rather than using a bush as I don't have one:)

Using it on the door seems straight forward enough, just wondering about on rebated frames.
Thanks

Much easier (and lighter probably) to leave the router and just take a tape measure, combi square, marking gauge, sharp chisel, mallet. You'd need these items anyway, even if you took the router as well, for taking out the corners, making corrections etc.

I tend to make my own jigs, but i only make them for hinges i use regularly such as this one for 3" butts

008-8.jpg

If your`s is a one off, i would do as Jacob suggests & mark out conventionally, but then rout free hand close to the marked out lines & then finish off with a chisel.

Cheers

Thanks for replies.
My hammer and chisel skills are poor to bad...

The door is an external door so it needs to be done as quickly as possible, am trying to keep existing door as its loaded with locks and has been cut at an angle to cater for a sloping tiled floor, the frame has been chewed by termites.

Carlow52":1n3hfdbd said:
Thanks for replies.
My hammer and chisel skills are poor to bad...
Try a mallet. Hammer and chisel not a good combination. Hammer is strictly for screws (more or less). :roll:
This is all you need. Not expensive.
The door is an external door so it needs to be done as quickly as possible, am trying to keep existing door as its loaded with locks and has been cut at an angle to cater for a sloping tiled floor, the frame has been chewed by termites.
Sounds more and more like a hand tool job - and you need the practice! Seriously though, a router could be more trouble than it's worth.

While I am well aware that this jig may be over kill, I post it here in case it would be of use to some-other less skilled mallet and chisel person
hinge jig_01.jpg

The main section is 75 m by 75 mm by 6 mm angle, its 400 long and the jig is for 100 mm hinges.

The left and right stops for the router are the same section with the perfect right angles marked after filing to an exact 90 degrees

The back stop is cut from a 60 by 60 by 4 angle, with some of the bottom leg left for strength

The router was used to trim inside faces of the actual slot and rather than use a chisel to square the corners of the cut-out, I rounded the corners on the hinges.

4 self tappers used to hold it all together.

Thanks to all for earlier ideas

Attachments

• hinge jig_01.jpg
    hinge jig_01.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_4815.jpg
    IMG_4815.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,027
Dear oh dear! The level of skill required to hit a chisel with a mallet is just slightly higher than that required to hit a table with your head. Come on get real! (as they say :roll: ).
Rounding the corners of the hinges! Smart move. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back