High Wycombe chair museum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Closed on Mondays!

Trip advisor review is quite interesting as well:

"The Wycombe chair museum is the most boring day out you could ever achieve in your life. Want to go look at some ugly brown chairs stuck to the wall well step right up, yes high Wycombe used to be the biggest chair manufacturing town in the country this museum does not do that fact any justice, there is really nothing to see here, ugly uncreative nasty looking brown wicker rubbish furniture stuck to the wall, the worlds most rubbish day out, if you have insomnia go This place it will bore you to tears so much you will sleep on the spot."

I studied engineering in high Wycombe along side those who studied furniture design... #worlds dumbest decision!!

Of course High Wycombe's chair museum has chairs stuck to the wall and some 'rubbish furniture' elsewhere. It depends what you want to get from your visit. Treat it with disdain and it will be like any other national treasure. Want to be there and the museum has a world of information to offer. The building celebrates the town's glorious industrial heritage, which includes my own family's, built over a couple of hundred years until successive governments and European bonkers regulations destroyed it, put thousands out of work and turned it into a dormitory town. Go there but want to go there. It's fabulous!

I live in HW (only for 5 years) - not been there yet so I must go. There is also Chilterns Open Air Museum not too far away which collects / maintains historic buildings from the area and there's a furniture factory building (High Wycombe Furniture Factory -)

Along with that HW has an Axminster Tools branch and also Isaac Lord with plenty of tools / hardware.

You can have quite a good day out in HW if you like woodworking!

If you are looking for other stuff to do in the area, perhaps visit Hellfire Caves in West Wycombe and then you could have lunch / coffee at the nearby Walled Garden Cafe which has just opened and is very nice.

If you like water, another option close by would be the Spade Oak pub for lunch in Bourne End and from there you can then take a nice walk along the Thames and back

Well i got there at 9.30 only me there Robert talked to just me for 4 hours very entertaining..and another hour or so talking about woodturning..
But its not really a chair museum just about production of the millions of chairs HW produced

Back