High Tannin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
I resawed some 25mm euro oak today and there was a much stronger than usual smell of the tannin. I moistened the cut side and laid it down on a formica shelf, 15mins later I found this

3674581265_4e01a95ac4.jpg

I planed some off just to see how deep. The round light circle is a drop of household bleach. Anyone seen really dark blue tannin of this intensity before.

Haha, I was worried what I was going to see when I opened this thread newt, I misread it as High Tanning, I was worried it was going to be you in your Speedo's on top of a sand dune! ;)

Seriously though, I have had my hands turn that colour from Oak, but never seen wood itself go that colour!

That's quite amazing really. If you'd said you wet it and put it on your CI tablesaw, I could have understood it.

The blue-black colour is the original blue-black ink (iron tannate IIRC) but how you've got that from Formica, I have no idea.

S

Could the formica work surface have had a detergent or multi-surface cleaner on it recently which then reacted with the wet oak?

I will try it again on another surface, perhaps I have made an important discovery.

Nice washing machine by the way Pete, we have one of those Boschs and they're great - as much as any washing machine can be great

Ironballs":2q9xy4bn said:
Nice washing machine by the way Pete, we have one of those Boschs and they're great - as much as any washing machine can be great

:shock: Washing machine drive by :lol:

Not from your formica top, from the saw blade, the reaction to the tannic acid in the oak and iron from the blade. I make instant weathered oak for my signs with a mix of vinegar and rust - acid rain !

lurker":1rhv4gir said:
Ironballs":1rhv4gir said:

:shock: Washing machine drive by :lol:

Just got rid of our 12 year old Bosch 'cos the electronics were playing up.

Went for an LG with the direct drive motor. It plays a jingle when the washing is finished :D

Way cool.....................................how sad am I??

The bosch plays a jingle bloody well annoys me, swimbo will not let me disable it.

Latest posts

Back