Hi everyone!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheYellowLandy

Neighbourhood Bodger
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a young 'un getting started into metalwork and machining. I have a small workshop in the garage into which I'm trying to fit a lathe and milling machine. Am moving soon to somewhere with a decent workshop space. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. My advice would be to have a well insulated workshop which is warm in winter. Which milling machine do you have? I've been looking for one for ages. Lots of really big machines available are good prices, but too big for me.

Welcome to the forum. My advice would be to have a well insulated workshop which is warm in winter. Which milling machine do you have? I've been looking for one for ages. Lots of really big machines available are good prices, but too big for me.
Thanks for your advice, hopefully once I've moved I can put up a nice insulated workshop as my current one is freezing in winter!

I've got a Naerok RDM350M milling machine, fairly cheap and will take R8 tooling, it is big enough to do most jobs [20" x 6 1/4" table, 3/4 hp single phase motor], you can fit an aftermarket power feed if you can still find one or a DRO, however it is small enough to fit in my single garage. One issue however is that the base casting is incredibly thick and heavy, you need an engine hoist or something to get it up onto a bench.

I'd recommend one if you can find one, they're about £500-£800. They also sold them as Alpine, Warco, Sealey, Draper etc. but the Naerok/Alpine ones are the only ones on which the whole column moves rather than the head [which keeps vertical alignment as you raise/lower the head].

Not a bad machine but a pain in the backside to move. Good luck with your search, hopefully you find one soon.

I see your other post on the milling machine. it looks an interesting machine and note your comment about the Naerok/Alpine keeping vertical alignment. Lucky you!!
I can handle something that size. I just recently got an endless chain from Lidl and it is the best £40 I have spent in ages, also got a set of 2m and 1m load straps. I managed to lift and tilt my planer @230Kg.
A ramp for pulling large things on to the trailer is on the to-do list and looking for a good used engine hoist.
What do you make? or is it repairs to the vehicle.

I can handle something that size. I just recently got an endless chain from Lidl and it is the best £40 I have spent in ages, also got a set of 2m and 1m load straps. I managed to lift and tilt my planer @230Kg.
A ramp for pulling large things on to the trailer is on the to-do list and looking for a good used engine hoist.
What do you make? or is it repairs to the vehicle.
Hi Sandyn,

You should be able to move one with straps, also the whole thing comes apart fairly easily. I guess other column mills are probably the same. As for what I use it for, I am going to make a few bits for the Land Rover but mainly it's teaching myself machining and making stuff for the workshop.

Had to look up endless chains, definetly want one now!

Latest posts

Back