Hexagon Shelves - Am I mad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have 2 issues to get a realy good end result
First is cutting the sides accurately to length at an angle of 30 degrees which should be OK with a track saw
Second is stopping the joints moving while gluing up. I made a jig for fitting 4mm ply splines in 45 degree mitres which are hidden when glued uo and also prevent movement so you could do the same
I think backs would look neatest set into a groove or rebate
I think I was planning on using tape, perhaps these are too big for that though and I need a jig like you suggest.
Also, I was thinking I could use my mitre saw to make the cuts, probably eaiser to set the scale to 30 because the scale is bigger than the one on my track saw.
Might be worth doing a prototype or two

Martin

In terms of fixing, you could do splines across the joints as previously mentioned, or if taping and gluing, once set, you could easily dovetail pin the joints. If you wanted, you could use a small drill bit to pilot the holes for accurate pinning, or drill out 6 or 8mm holes and dowel them ( again, drill once glue is set )

I'll be the unheard voice of reason for a few minutes.

While you may think you have lots of room it won't be long before you don't. For that reason I urge you to adopt a more traditional design with vertical sides, perhaps a tool cabinet with the tools displayed and at hand maximizing the storage. You can still backlight it to feature the tools in it if you like.

The design you have would look great in any number of rooms in the house or even outside on the patio by the barbecue. Sometimes function is as beautiful as form. Your place so do what makes you happiest.

Pete
It was my first reaction, too, when I saw the plan. All those angular sides? Not functional but, as you say, it's the OP's choice.

As a long time Beekeeper I love hexagons but wouldn't use them in the workshop. I would not have the long flat joining bits, doesn't look right to my eye! However hexagon shelves are easy to make with a track saw and are easy to hang on dowels etc. Birch ply is great for them. I make individual ones that if need joining can be done on pairing up one of the flat sides with one matching flat on another hexagon. i.e. each hexagon is build individually. The are both stronger and quicker to do like this. A jig helps assembly greatly but can just be a 'MFT' style. They are easier to make than they look and I never have used backs. Never done lighting but don't make them too deep.

He
I fancy something semi functional and yet interesting to look at in my workshop
What I am thinking of doing is some hexagon themed wall units / shelves, with integrated lighting.
Here is a quick sketch I made, although I don't think I will put it on that particular wall:
View attachment 156542

for lighting I have bought some LED strips which I will somehow route behind or inside the units.
Here is a pic of the LED strip - I will probably set it to white or warm white, but I think it was set to some sort of strange blue colour in the picture (which actually looks quite interesting?...)
I think I will probably put it on the grey wall at the back

I know it isn't very pragmatic and perhaps not the best use of space, but I seem to have enough space for all my stuff so I have the freedom to get a bit creative and make it looks interesting

View attachment 156543

My questions

1. How to attach it to the wall? (I'm thinking I will fasten the whole structure together and then intermittently attach to the wall through the studs - but I don't really know how?).
  2. Would birch ply be a good choice for material?
  3. How to do the lighting? - maybe hold fire on that question as I will quickly do some CAD to show the different options I'm thinking of.
  4. Am I mad?
thanks
Martin
Are you mad?
Short answer- YES!
Long answer- if you aren't too bothered about maximising your storage space and you have large supplies of time and patience, have fun!

I was asked to make this White Gloss panel and hang it on the wall in this alcove,.....It was spaced off the wall by about 50mm via some timber French Cleats.
I also had to find a way of fixing the Walnut veneered shelving unit to the panel before hanging the whole thing and without any visible screws/ fixings.....As you can see, I managed to do it......😁

The Walnut veneered material was only about 12mm thick if I remember correctly ( it was about 2 years ago I did it...)

No LED lighting though....!

IMG-20230404-WA0001.jpg

I was asked to make this White Gloss panel and hang it on the wall in this alcove,.....It was spaced off the wall by about 50mm via some timber French Cleats.
I also had to find a way of fixing the Walnut veneered shelving unit to the panel before hanging the whole thing and without any visible screws/ fixings.....As you can see, I managed to do it......😁

The Walnut veneered material was only about 12mm thick if I remember correctly ( it was about 2 years ago I did it...)

No LED lighting though....!

View attachment 156596
Great job.
Shame you didn't put any lighting in it 🤪

You are all right of course. It's totally impractical, and a massive ball ache to achieve.
Not sure if I'll do it yet but I'm thinking I will. Or will I. Needs some more thought. All the comments have been useful, thanks to all.

Martin

So after starting the rain on your parade in post 12 I'll give you my, if I were going to, ideas.

I would cut all the bevels on my table/cabinet saw and a sled. I would use my Lamello biscuit tool to join it all together. To hang it I would attach stand offs to the wall using a relatively thin bushing under the head to hold the screw off. That lets you use either a keyhole router bit in whatever uprights you like as long as you pick the same slope. Left leaning or right leaning. Or you could use the glue in brass plugs below that would allow you to put them where you like. You'd need thicker material though. For locating the stand offs a big sheet of cardboard/thin plywood could be used for locating the holes on the shelves and then transferring to the wall. A line under the long shelf would serve to level the pattern on the wall and a corner or two to position.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...-framing/75964-keyhole-slot-plug?item=05H0301
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...r-bits/30113-keyhole-router-bits?item=16J7002
Pete

We all need some bonkers time in our lives.
I like the shelves, although I would not have them in my workshop even if I had the room, probably because I err towards the engineer rather than the artist and my shelves are purely practical.

I made some hexagon planters using just flat iron bar bent around pins to fix to wall I just used a washer with 2 sides flattened. was thinking of using same for some oak shelves or cutting a slot in the back of some of the hexagons and using an angle bracket (screw to wall then shelves slot on and a screw through).

About the lighting, I played with strips..didn't really like the bright line so instead of a diffuser bar like shown. I played with a rebate and a full hexagon diffuser sheet offset 1" from the back, also has the added benefits of hiding the screw hole/wires behind it.

I liked the MDF prototype then my mum nicked it, painted it white and while it looks good, now she wants me to 'do something with the lights' so she can have each hexagon a different colour

How about using these but drilling the holes in your shelves to a depth to leave a gap at the back when pushed on:

https://amzn.eu/d/2L61kZt

Main issue is having to be quite accurate with your drilling, both in position and perpendicularity if that’s a word. See Pete’s suggestion above re position. ie make a template with card.
Also might be awkward as 12mm holes in 18mm ply doesn’t leave much wall thickness.

How about using these but drilling the holes in your shelves to a depth to leave a gap at the back when pushed on:

https://amzn.eu/d/2L61kZt

Main issue is having to be quite accurate with your drilling, both in position and perpendicularity if that’s a word. See Pete’s suggestion above re position. ie make a template with card.
Also might be awkward as 12mm holes in 18mm ply doesn’t leave much wall thickness.
They look perfect thanks 👍
The next issue to solve is the wall thickness on the ply.....

Martin

Back