Quantcast

Help with identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Lindas

Established Member
Reaction score
A very belated happy new year! Illness, family in hospital and minor surgery have delayed sorting at dad's workshop but I am back to it and have a few things for help with! As I don't know what they are I am never sure if I have posted in the right section so apologies if not!

Attachments

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what the first one in the brass sleeve is for, I think you're probably right when you say it might be some kind of depth stop for it though.

The second lot look like power augers (round shank) or maybe old-style bit and brace augers with the square taper tangs cut off.

The third lot are a mixture of old-style bit and brace augers and maybe some power augers, the one with the modern hex shank is definitely a power auger.

As far as value is concerned I have no idea but some brands like Mathieson, Ridgway and Irwin are more desired amongst the old bit and brace fogies :lol:

Lindas

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. If one lot of bits have been cut could they be used by anyone else?

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Lindas":33iqsisw said:
Thank you so much. If one lot of bits have been cut could they be used by anyone else?
Yes, they could. The square taper end only works in a brace. A round end may have been wanted to use in a manual breast drill, which generally had a chuck designed for holding round stemmed bits. Worth adapting if you needed to make quite deep holes in wood. A bit odd to have so many the same size though.

Probably all usable unless worn out by repeated sharpening.

Lindas

Established Member
Reaction score
Many thanks Andy. I do like to at least know that I am listing. I'll take a look at their sharpness. Linda

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Sheffield Tony":3i6na61m said:
Any with the right sized round shank for the boring machine Andy ?
Possibly, but I've got some nice ones which fit it well.
Well remembered though, the same thought crossed my mind.