Help or advise required:- Milwaukee drill drivers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssexChris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have just replaced our ageing 12 and 18 volt NiCd makitas with a New 18v milwaukee drill driver, but with the clutch on its minimum setting it will drive a 5mm x 40mm screw straight into a piece of softwood and the clutch wont click till the countersink head is flush.
No use when working with 3.5mm into mdf.
So got a 12v milwaukee driver, but just put a 3.5mm x 30mm straint through a sheet of 25mm mdf, again on minimum setting clutch wont click till the countersink head is flush. :cry:

Now the clutch setting on the old makita had a useful range.

As drills they are excellent but just too powerful for driving smaller screws.

So i am looking for suggestions as what to try next, or any tool dealers in the south with drill drivers out on display you can test before purchase.

Need to be able of drive 3mm and 3.5mm screws into softwood and mfd.
Hinges and runners that sort of thing, used NiCd drills form most of the big names in the past and never had a problem. :?

Looks like i might have to,
was hoping to take advantage of the newer battery technology and reduced size and weight.
In all other aspects the new Milwaukee drill is far superior to the makita.

Hi EssexChris
What model Milwaukee 12v driver have you got, I have quite a lot of Milwaukee gear and have no issues with the clutch on any of it, there is a drilling setting and a screw diving setting on my driver if it's on the drilling setting it will push screws right through, on the driving setting the lowest torque is quite pathetic and won't even do much more than start the screw biting into the wood before it clutches out, I put up a fair bit of plaster board and find the driver excellent for that
HD

Homers double":2exdnn35 said:
Hi EssexChris
What model Milwaukee 12v driver have you got, I have quite a lot of Milwaukee gear and have no issues with the clutch on any of it, there is a drilling setting and a screw diving setting on my driver if it's on the drilling setting it will push screws right through, on the driving setting the lowest torque is quite pathetic and won't even do much more than start the screw biting into the wood before it clutches out, I put up a fair bit of plaster board and find the driver excellent for that
HD
Very good point. Same on the Festool drills, unfortunately it's where my second hand wraps around the machine and can easily be accidentally switched between drill and driver mode.

The 12v is 1/4" M12 BD with a 2Ah battery, with 18 torque settings and the 19th is for drill. I will try different screw lengths and diameters tomorrow. the data sheet suggests it will drive a 6mm max without a pilot hole.

Back