Help Needed: Bed for Special Needs 16yo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackAnton81

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help me.

I have a 16 year old nephew who comes to stay once a week to give his Mum a much needed rest.

He has special needs so he really needs a secure bed. At his home, he has a bed similar to the attached picture.

I only have one spare bedroom and it only has a standard bed in. He’s used that when visiting but we have had a few incidents in recent weeks and I am concerned about his safety in a normal bed and he should really be in a crib style bed like the one he has at home.

I did consider buying a secure bed / crib like the one he has at home but its not practical as I only have one spare room and often have visitors. I don’t think they’d be very happy to stay in a crib / secure so I need to find another solution😁

Sorry for the long message but my question is - is there a way of being able to build something that converts between a standard bed and secure bed / crib for when he visits? (i.e. removable sides that can be secured).

If so, does anyone have any suggestions how it would work and where I could potentially find someone to help me build it please?

Many thanks for your help. I am very grateful for any advice you can offer.

Attachments

• 16866DB9-3355-4197-B1EC-836C48591AC9.jpeg
    16866DB9-3355-4197-B1EC-836C48591AC9.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 42
Removeable sides secured with headboard brackets?

You could approach the OT to see if you could hire a hospital style bed with sides???

Cheers James

Many thanks for all of the help and advice. That thread was very useful.

The recommendation of the removable sides secured with headboard brackets sounds like a good one.

Challenge is that I am not the most gifted when it comes to DIY and woodworking. If I was looking to find someone to do this for me then do you have any idea where I might be able to find someone please?

Thanks

Just a local joinery firm would do.

Otherwise someone on here with a business might be able to help.

Cheers James

I did consider buying a secure bed / crib like the one he has at home but its not practical as I only have one spare room and often have visitors. I don’t think they’d be very happy to stay in a crib / secure so I need to find another solution😁

I kind of think that if your visitors are not kinky or understanding enough to appreciate what you are doing then perhaps they should stay in a nearby hotel. 🤷‍♂️

Pete

Hi All,
I was hoping someone could help me.
I have a 16 year old nephew who comes to stay once a week to give his Mum a much needed rest.
He has special needs so he really needs a secure bed. At his home, he has a bed similar to the attached picture.
I only have one spare bedroom and it only has a standard bed in. He’s used that when visiting but we have had a few incidents in recent weeks and I am concerned about his safety in a normal bed and he should really be in a crib style bed like the one he has at home.
Sorry for the long message but my question is - is there a way of being able to build something that converts between a standard bed and secure bed / crib for when he visits? (i.e. removable sides that can be secured).
If so, does anyone have any suggestions how it would work and where I could potentially find someone to help me build it please?
Many thanks for your help. I am very grateful for any advice you can offer.

What's your timeline?
I am in the process of having a (some would say 'crate-like') 'daybed' made by Bespoke Kitchens and Furniture - Wood & Wire - Halifax - Yorkshire - UK from CNC cut 'layered' 18mm ply.
The whole process has taken a long time thanks to the lockup, but I hope to have (what I consider to be) the proof of concept in the next month.

I'm happy to "Start Conversation" (mouseover ID icon / Start Conversation) even if it's just to help you know "that's no good".
On another note, if you're offering 'respite' then it's possible SS / NHS may (part)fund. Though a) blood from stone; and b) pen pushers.
I'll help in any way I can.
pils

Tjjan
What's your timeline?
I am in the process of having a (some would say 'crate-like') 'daybed' made by Bespoke Kitchens and Furniture - Wood & Wire - Halifax - Yorkshire - UK from CNC cut 'layered' 18mm ply.
The whole process has taken a long time thanks to the lockup, but I hope to have (what I consider to be) the proof of concept in the next month.

I'm happy to "Start Conversation" (mouseover ID icon / Start Conversation) even if it's just to help you know "that's no good".
On another note, if you're offering 'respite' then it's possible SS / NHS may (part)fund. Though a) blood from stone; and b) pen pushers.
I'll help in any way I can.
pils

Thank you for your kind reply Pils. That’s great. I have tried to message you but no luck given I am currently on a mobile device. Will try again when I’m at my desktop. Many thanks

Hi All,

Pils has kindly helped me with a potential design and I was wondering if anyone could help advise about the practicality and potential cost?

The concept is effectively to have a ‘standard’ wooden double with 4 sides and two removable side. Pils has suggested it would probably be dowel locked.

I would be extremely grateful if you could have a look and let me know how the design could potentially be done and if so, the potential cost.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 9EF451BE-AAC5-49FD-8863-018FF0554DB9.png
    9EF451BE-AAC5-49FD-8863-018FF0554DB9.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 10
Back