Help MT2 stuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about showing us pictures, from all angles top bottom side etc, of the whole item without all the clamps and lumps of metal! This is a woodworking overhead router?

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago whilst rebuilding a wadkin LQ which has a morse taper 2. I tried everything for 3 weeks. In the end I took it to a machinists place and they put it in the lathe and cut it out. They said it was still stuck until the last 1/2mm.

I've did manage to remove one from another machine by locking the spindle and putting big stilsons on the insert with a long cheeter bar. Once it rotated a tiny bit it just fell out. In hindsight this is not a good method because of the twisting strain being put on the shaft.

Maybe heat and a freezing spray might work

Lets have some photos with all the clamps and lumps removed!

Attachments

• uk29.png
    uk29.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
I’m not at home at the moment, I will pop up photos when I’m back. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. It’s really appreciated

Here we go, more piccies.
The bottom bit is the remains of the bearing, it’s the inner race you can see
387F603C-CA47-405E-A5D3-2E8E29335F43.jpeg

The parts have had a few heat cycles, so they don’t look too pretty at the mo.

B7713384-0808-4BC6-9163-D3A1871FD9C8.jpeg

I might be wrong here but that look to me like it is the main shaft with the screw threads and the MT socket is clear?

Like this one a spindle:
image_2022-10-05_105223595.png

@Phill05 its very very similar to the one you show, apart from the collet housing is detachable…….well that what the manual says😂 I will have a another look and quadruple check.

@Housey210 that collar secures the shaft into the housing and adds the preload onto the bearings. I used a pin spanner to remove it

Might be worth asking main supplier if a new shaft is available, looks well chewed up that collet thread. An Engineer may be able to tig the damage area and recut the thread, at a cost.

@Housey210 I’ve spoken with SCM there are no spares. Im lucky that I have the kit and can make a new shaft if it’s required.
However, we’d probably fit a new Chinese high speed spindle if all else fails. That’s the route that @Sideways is advocating.

Had another look…..just be sure I hadn’t missed something really silly. The collet holder is definitely a separate piece….phew!
41722BF8-C8BD-4347-BDFF-2F00EDB9182D.jpeg

That doesn't look like the screw on one in the diagrams does it! Could be worth drilling through it and putting a long bar on it as a last shot

this reminded me an an outstanding job! About 18 yrs ago I found a three phase upvc copy router at the tip, which the staff let me have for £25. Clearly something was wrong for the owner to scrap it and stripped down I found the thread on top damaged. Seeing this photo I dug the shaft out over the weekend and yesterday swung by a local welder, to see if they could tig it. Tenner mate, I'll do now. Leaving him to it I nipped to the nearby shopping mall to pick up some more wool for my elderly mum, me now being her full time carer. The shaft was still warm when I returned and along with the tenner I gave him two packets of chocky hob nobs and one box of jaffa cakes! Well pleased, well cheap and top job. Just needs the thread re-cutting.

Attachments

• BILD0001.JPG
    BILD0001.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • BILD0002.JPG
    BILD0002.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
The shaft has been lying in state for a while, whilst we considered the next salvo to shoot over its bow. So, the next plan was to turn off the top, drill through the centre to break out at the back of the MT2 taper, tap to BSPT and insert a grease nipple. This would enable us to squirt grease under pressure behind the MT2 and hopefully dislodge it.
42A9F514-CBCD-4B85-9E7E-A89162B8364C.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, the Wanner grease gun applies about 400 bar, and that just didn’t do it. So, taking lots of precautions we decided to heat it up. The grease will expand increasing the pressure. The pressure could rise enough to blow out the grease nipple, well that was our risk assessment. We actually do take time to really consider the risks associated with any ‘odd ball’ stuff we do.

After warming to what we considered to be enough, we carefully laid it down pointing into a safe location. Luckily, we had taken precautions as the ball bearing in the top of the grease nipple literally exploded out with a sharp gun shot sound.
CBFD9E83-A3C1-44FD-A002-1325ABF3D75A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That didn’t work, so just in case we hadn’t broken through to the back……although we were sure we had, we drill it a little more, attached a new grease nipple and this time used a different grease gun that could apply more force…..690Bar.
58D6FD50-4231-4D22-8610-9752355C8906.jpeg

Still no joy. So it’s definitely going to get machined out next time the owner of the machine pops around.

OK, looks like you are dealing with an MT with possibly no tang that's come loose, spun and siezed (read friction welded!) itself into the shaft while under load. If you've already managed to drill it it should be soft enough to machine out. May need tipped tools though. Bit of a pain but probably better than replacing the whole thing

Back