Quantcast

Hells teeth...Friday 13th!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

woodbloke

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2006
Messages
11,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Salisbury, UK
I'm not normally superstitious ('cept I won't have new shoes on the table or walk under ladders) so I thought I'd be OK in the 'shop this morning. I'd had a really good tidy up yesterday evening ready for gluing up a small project I'd been making for the last couple of days for my daughter.
I got everything ready, got the glue on and started to pull it up with the cramps, but I'd left one part too long...the glue had grabbed and it refused to budge. A little more pressure...and it broke! :twisted: :twisted: and this was a sculpted handle in teak that had taken me around a day to make.
The complete job (it was a Japanese lamp) went through the bandsaw (it's called 'doing a Rob') and is now residing in a plastic bag at the bottom of my wheely bin. Fortunately I've got a bit of time to remake the whole thing before we go and see her in the Spring, but I think for the remainder of the day I'm staying clear of the 'shop...coffee time anyway - Rob
 

Sportique

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2009
Messages
550
Reaction score
0
Location
Fife Scotland
Really tough Rob, but I guess most of us have such days, I know I do!, and as you say, best to move away from it for a while (if you can!)

Hope it goes better for you next time.

Dave
 

Blister

Still at it after all these years.
Joined
10 Nov 2006
Messages
6,586
Reaction score
43
And I was going to hollow my Urn today :-k :-k #-o

Maybe / Maybe not :lol:
 

CHJ

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2004
Messages
20,073
Reaction score
37
Location
Cotswolds UK
Had one of those days yesterday, so don't think the choice of numbers or day names attributed to a particular rotation of the lump of rock we all ride on has much to do with it, finally starting to take notice of my new years decision to not waste time trying to recover failures or mistakes and find the time wasted chucking it in the firewood bags is short and provides a lot more useful time to start again with the experience gained being a big spur to be more selective in wood choice or working method next time round.

Frustrating as these events are a few seconds after the event, I find not letting it stunt the desire to succeed even more satisfying at the end of the project.
 

woodbloke

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2006
Messages
11,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Salisbury, UK
CHJ":34w5i2fh said:
Had one of those days yesterday, so don't think the choice of numbers or day names attributed to a particular rotation of the lump of rock we all ride on has much to do with it, finally starting to take notice of my new years decision to not waste time trying to recover failures or mistakes and find the time wasted chucking it in the firewood bags is short and provides a lot more useful time to start again with the experience gained being a big spur to be more selective in wood choice or working method next time round.

Frustrating as these events are a few seconds after the event, I find not letting it stunt the desire to succeed even more satisfying at the end of the project.
Couldn't agree more Chas, it's just a co-incidence that it all wen TU on the 13th! I've decided that I'm not going to let this little set back deprive of a whole days sawdust making, so I've just re-machined all the component parts, even finding a nice piece of Wakansian Indian Rosewood to replace the original one in teak. The new lamp is going to be made in American Cherry and I've just finished sorting out the shoji panels...I already have the paper for a much bigger floor standing one that's in the process of being completed. Just got to wax the frame, do the electrics and sort out the shoji covering on the side screens - Rob
 

andersonec

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2010
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
0
Location
Lincolnshire
Been there, done that, got the T shirt and it wasn't a Friday and it wasn't the 13th, just teaches me to check, check and re-check.

Better luck next time. #-o

Andy
 

paulm

Established Member
Joined
25 Sep 2005
Messages
3,430
Reaction score
0
Location
North Hampshire
Look on the bright side Rob, at least you've got a bigger bandsaw now and can fit more through it :lol:

The only people who don't make mistakes are the ones that don't do anything (like me a lot of the time ! :oops: )

Cheers, Paul
 

woodbloke

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2006
Messages
11,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Salisbury, UK
paulm":dfoxsh85 said:
Look on the bright side Rob, at least you've got a bigger bandsaw now and can fit more through it :lol:

Cheers, Paul
This one went through the original Euro 260 Paul, but to stuff anything bigger through the Startrite would really worry me - Rob
 

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2004
Messages
11,712
Reaction score
52
Location
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Well I was awoken a 5am (yesterday, now) with a wet nose. I've had a cold, so wasn't that surprised, but then it didn't seem right...
Turned on the light to find blood everywhere - pillow, sheet, duvet. It looked like a massacre. I used to have lots of nose-bleeds when I was a teenager, but it's been years since anything like that. So most of yesterday was spent washing. Fortunately it did not soak through to the mattress.
S
 

woodbloke

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2006
Messages
11,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Salisbury, UK
Steve Maskery":yxazjeq1 said:
Well I was awoken a 5am (yesterday, now) with a wet nose. I've had a cold, so wasn't that surprised, but then it didn't seem right...
Turned on the light to find blood everywhere - pillow, sheet, duvet. It looked like a massacre. I used to have lots of nose-bleeds when I was a teenager, but it's been years since anything like that. So most of yesterday was spent washing. Fortunately it did not soak through to the mattress.
S
You've been at that Godfather movie again Steve :lol: - Rob
 

Dodge

Established Member
Joined
15 Oct 2010
Messages
2,583
Reaction score
0
Location
Shelfanger
Well sorry to hear of all your woes from Friday 13th - Just think of me though - My daughter turned 13 on Friday 13th

Surely that means I am damned with a stroppy teanager for years now :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

woodbloke

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2006
Messages
11,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Salisbury, UK
Dodge":3i2suwut said:
Well sorry to hear of all your woes from Friday 13th - Just think of me though - My daughter turned 13 on Friday 13th

Surely that means I am damned with a stroppy teanager for years now :lol: :lol:
Rog, you have my sympathy and probably everyone else's on the forum who has a daughter :lol: - Rob
 
Top