Hells teeth...Friday 13th!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not normally superstitious ('cept I won't have new shoes on the table or walk under ladders) so I thought I'd be OK in the 'shop this morning. I'd had a really good tidy up yesterday evening ready for gluing up a small project I'd been making for the last couple of days for my daughter.
I got everything ready, got the glue on and started to pull it up with the cramps, but I'd left one part too long...the glue had grabbed and it refused to budge. A little more pressure...and it broke! :twisted: :twisted: and this was a sculpted handle in teak that had taken me around a day to make.
The complete job (it was a Japanese lamp) went through the bandsaw (it's called 'doing a Rob') and is now residing in a plastic bag at the bottom of my wheely bin. Fortunately I've got a bit of time to remake the whole thing before we go and see her in the Spring, but I think for the remainder of the day I'm staying clear of the 'shop...coffee time anyway - Rob

Really tough Rob, but I guess most of us have such days, I know I do!, and as you say, best to move away from it for a while (if you can!)

Hope it goes better for you next time.

Dave

Had one of those days yesterday, so don't think the choice of numbers or day names attributed to a particular rotation of the lump of rock we all ride on has much to do with it, finally starting to take notice of my new years decision to not waste time trying to recover failures or mistakes and find the time wasted chucking it in the firewood bags is short and provides a lot more useful time to start again with the experience gained being a big spur to be more selective in wood choice or working method next time round.

Frustrating as these events are a few seconds after the event, I find not letting it stunt the desire to succeed even more satisfying at the end of the project.

CHJ":34w5i2fh said:
Had one of those days yesterday, so don't think the choice of numbers or day names attributed to a particular rotation of the lump of rock we all ride on has much to do with it, finally starting to take notice of my new years decision to not waste time trying to recover failures or mistakes and find the time wasted chucking it in the firewood bags is short and provides a lot more useful time to start again with the experience gained being a big spur to be more selective in wood choice or working method next time round.

Frustrating as these events are a few seconds after the event, I find not letting it stunt the desire to succeed even more satisfying at the end of the project.
Couldn't agree more Chas, it's just a co-incidence that it all wen TU on the 13th! I've decided that I'm not going to let this little set back deprive of a whole days sawdust making, so I've just re-machined all the component parts, even finding a nice piece of Wakansian Indian Rosewood to replace the original one in teak. The new lamp is going to be made in American Cherry and I've just finished sorting out the shoji panels...I already have the paper for a much bigger floor standing one that's in the process of being completed. Just got to wax the frame, do the electrics and sort out the shoji covering on the side screens - Rob

Been there, done that, got the T shirt and it wasn't a Friday and it wasn't the 13th, just teaches me to check, check and re-check.

Better luck next time. #-o

Andy

Look on the bright side Rob, at least you've got a bigger bandsaw now and can fit more through it :lol:

The only people who don't make mistakes are the ones that don't do anything (like me a lot of the time ! :oops: )

Cheers, Paul

I broke the glass for a table top today, 2 weeks to get in, never realised it was fri 13th.

paulm":dfoxsh85 said:
Look on the bright side Rob, at least you've got a bigger bandsaw now and can fit more through it :lol:

Cheers, Paul

This one went through the original Euro 260 Paul, but to stuff anything bigger through the Startrite would really worry me - Rob

Well I was awoken a 5am (yesterday, now) with a wet nose. I've had a cold, so wasn't that surprised, but then it didn't seem right...
Turned on the light to find blood everywhere - pillow, sheet, duvet. It looked like a massacre. I used to have lots of nose-bleeds when I was a teenager, but it's been years since anything like that. So most of yesterday was spent washing. Fortunately it did not soak through to the mattress.
S

Steve Maskery":yxazjeq1 said:
Well I was awoken a 5am (yesterday, now) with a wet nose. I've had a cold, so wasn't that surprised, but then it didn't seem right...
Turned on the light to find blood everywhere - pillow, sheet, duvet. It looked like a massacre. I used to have lots of nose-bleeds when I was a teenager, but it's been years since anything like that. So most of yesterday was spent washing. Fortunately it did not soak through to the mattress.
S
You've been at that Godfather movie again Steve :lol: - Rob

Well sorry to hear of all your woes from Friday 13th - Just think of me though - My daughter turned 13 on Friday 13th

Surely that means I am damned with a stroppy teanager for years now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dodge":3i2suwut said:
Well sorry to hear of all your woes from Friday 13th - Just think of me though - My daughter turned 13 on Friday 13th

Surely that means I am damned with a stroppy teanager for years now :lol: :lol:
Rog, you have my sympathy and probably everyone else's on the forum who has a daughter :lol: - Rob

Back